fixing the windows on my vert...

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
I finally got around to buying the parts to fix the windows in my vert. The windows will not roll up and seat on the frame, and they move around inside of the door.

I bought glass retainer brackets
window gear bushings
window motor gear (currently makes a crunching noise when I roll it up all the way)
vert window guide rod bushings.

I have not manual so this is going to be interesting.

DSCN1892.jpg

DSCN1893.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I figured out why the window is so wobby inside of the door. This is where the guide rod bushing is supposed to be. Yes, those are zip ties.

The upper bushing is just missing.

DSCN1896.jpg

Ok, I figured out how to get the window out of the door.

take off these two nuts for the bracket retainer

DSCN1899.jpg

Then remove these two nuts for the guide rod.
and the window came loose and slides right out.

DSCN1900.jpg

Zip Ties? OMG that's real nice, eh? Kinda scares ya regarding the rest of the car's history, right? What did they use for oil? Wesson? Good thread - My son has a rear 92 vert window that needs some attention.

found this thread by jawbone. He explaines how to get the motor out.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/806383-tips-replacing-your-fox-power-window-motor.html

Sounds like a pita to get back in. :(

Make sure the window is full up if possible, I used some duct tape and cardboard wedges to hold it up re Ford Manual. Remove door panel. I stabilized the regulator arm with some duct tape (manual says to do it) by putting it through the speaker hole and the hole at 11:00 to the speaker. Disconnect your battery. Unplug the power window motor. Unscrew the 3 screws holding the motor in place and remove. Grease the gear on the motor. It's a little trickey getting the new motor in place. I suggest taping the mounting screws to the socket driver to make the job easier. When attaching the motor, get the screws turned in maybe 3-5 turns so it holds but are still loose, put pressure on the back of the motor and flick your power window button until you feel the gear engage with the regulator arm. You should be able to see or feel the motor torque once it's engaged. Hold the motor tight to the inside door and tighten the screws. Ford's manual says to torque down the screws 4-7 lb ft., but my motor was after market so I didn't go over 4 lb ft.

Yeah, that sounds like fun. As long as Duct Tape is involved, it's all good. Best of Luck!

Oh, I see you have a 73 mach. That was my first car back in the day. I bought it in 82 and it caught fire and was totaled in 1985-86..? I loved that car. Who would of thunk that I'd end up in another Mach (quite honestly this 04 model is 10 times better).

I had to pull a window motor in my car yesterday. I had no trouble what so ever. Just take off the three bolts un plug and your done. Not hard at all. In fact I can see the two rear bolts in your picture. Let me know if u still need help. The front bolt is kinda hard to see but you should be able to get this.

I had a marginally intelligent moment and confused the bolts that held the motor to the door, for the bolts that hold the body of the motor to the gear box. I spent about a half hour working these out, then realized I had pulled the wrong ones.

Needless to say, taking the motor apart is not a good thing. It leads to a very frustrating experience of trying to place the brushes back into the motor body and the shaft between them.

This is what you do not want to do.

DSCN1907.jpg

This is how I eventually got it back together. Took a long time to get it to slip in. Very frustrating.
I used an allen wrench with a small piece of wire. The wire is what holds the allen wrench to the ring of allen wrenches.

DSCN1908.jpg

I did find the 3 bolts that hold the motor onto the door.
Its much easier to remove it this way :D

DSCN1905.jpg

After removing the window motor, I removed one phillips screw and pulled the gear out. It was a simple swap after that.

DSCN1906.jpg

After putting the window motor back in and verified it was working. I replaced the window bracket retainers. They were a complete pita. They have a press in stud that goes through the plastic. That is when I realized that my big pair of vice grips are missing. I spent the better part of an hour trying to press them in.

The kit came with 2, but the window bracket needed 3.

I also replaced the guide rod bushings. It was getting dark, and it started raining. So I had to give up before I finished. So I will get to play some more tomorrow.

Fwiw, I really wish I had bought new door locks. I have the door mostly taken apart. It would of been fairly easy to put them in while I was doing this. My drivers side door lock and latch is starting to have more play than I like. I doubt its going to last much longer. I just did not think about it until after I ordered the window parts.

frick fracking stupid guide retaining bushing is different on a vert than a coupe.

Picture from another car

mdmp_0810_04_zfox_mustang_window_li.jpg

Picture from my vert.

DSCN1899.jpg

does anyone know how to take up the slack on the top guide? the window is still flopping around within the door. I have the lower guide bushing in place. The upper one will not accept the guide bushing. I am to the point of using a grinder to make it fit.