flamethrowers

mustang112119

Apr 1, 2005
ok i figured if i couldnt get my car to sound bad ass with the exhaust i would at least try and do something cool with it so i bought a flamethrower kit off ebay my car is a na car for now a 92 lx with 5 speed but in the instuctions it says to connect the wires to the ground wire on the coil well my car has no coil so i used the coil packs i figured the redwire with green stripe is the ground so is this right guys or should i run off the ground on the ignition module if so which one is that well so far i think my plugs in my pipes are sparking but no flame so is there any way to get the car to run rich enough to ignite im thinking maybe if i can close off the egr that will work any help at all would greatley be appreciated i wanna make some fire

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have the answer to your question, but after spending over $300 replacing my ICM and both coil packs, I can't see any reason to wire anything to them and risk frying them and being broke down.
Flame throwers are cool, but most of the ones around herer are 50's style hot rods.

I don't think you're gonna get flamethrowers to work very well on an EFI car without a separate fuel supply. EFI cars just don't run as rich as carbed ones too. Plus most of those kits are designed to cut the spark to the engine when you hit the flamethrowers so there's lots of extra fuel in the exhaust.

The problem I see is that even if you can get it to run rich, most if not all of that fuel is going to get burnt in the cats causing them to get too hot and melting the catalyst which will clog them right up.

To get it to work you'll need to plumb up a seperate fuel delivery to the exhaust. Maybe use an old stock injector stuck in the pipe ahead of the spark plug.

Does your pipe stick out past your rear bumper cover? It won't look cool if you set the back of your car on fire.

There is no reason you can't get a flame thrower on your car, but since you have small injectors, it may not work as well as some other cars you've seen.
Basically, you will have to kill power to the ignition to allow enough fuel into the exhaust. Most people will have a momentary switch to kill the ignition and spark a spark plug in the exhaust at the same time. Just a matter of figuring out which wire it is.

glowstang93 said:
Flame throwers are cool

Am I the only one that thinks this is ghetto? It does kinda fit with classic muscle cars, but does not seem to fit with the newer generations. Sorta like big chrome metal bumpers on a 57 Nomad. A 93 GT would look ridiculous with a chrome bumper, and a 57 Nomad would look just as bad with a polyurethane bumper. The same applies to hydraulics and 100 spoke rims on a mustang. I just don't think it works.
Just my opinion. I am not trying to offend anyone, and I don't want to start any arguments. I am sure some of you are looking at my sig and thinking how tacky big V8s are.

As for the installation.
I would not worry about losing spark power, since you probably won't be firing the flame thrower when at full throttle (I hope:( ). At idle it should be ok, but playing with the plug gap in the exhaust tip may be helpful.
I always assumed that a seperate fuel supply was needed to make this work. The systems that I have liked in the past have had blue flames. Not sure what fuel it was, as I never put much thought into it. Unless you intentionally cause the motor to run rich at idle, I think you will have problems with getting ignition at the exhaust tip with the current setup.

I actually have one of those kits on my car but it's on my '57 Desoto. So far, most of what people have said is correct. It won't work with cats (but thats ok since you don't have them). The way the instructions told me to do it was to weld in the plugs within about 8 inches from the tip of the pipes. You will need to then run an ignition wire to each plug (duh) but each ignition wire will run straight to an ignition coil, like the older cylinder shaped ones, or something similar. There's two terminals on each coil, one ground and one power. Just ground the terminal to the body. I'm guessing the kit you bought came with a small black box with two little ignition modules? It should have, or i don't think this will work. Well, two wires from the box run to each coil (one wire per coil), there should be a ground on the ignition box (to the body), and another wire for power. My kit had a type of cut-out switch. On your car, there is a wire that runs to the ignition system supplying it with 12 volt power. You splice into this wire and run the power source end to the switch. Then the other end of the wire you cut will also go to the switch. Now, there is a third terminal on the switch that will run to the ignition box. The idea is that when the car is running and the switch/button is not being pressed, power runs from the battery, through the switch, and to the ignition in your engine. When you press the switch, it diverts the power to the wire for the flame throwers, so the plugs in the motor are not firing, but the ones in your pipes are sparking. This way, the motor acts as an air pump an pumps the mixture of air and atomized fuel through to the tail pipes where it gets lit up. Assuming you have this all hooked up right, and your kit is installed with the ignition box and switch as explained, it helps to rev the motor way up and then push the button. The motor won't pump out fuel and air if its not turning, and it can only spin from its inertia for so long so it helps if it's moving pretty fast before you kill the spark. Or if you have a manual trans, leave it in gear and hit the switch so the moving car keeps the motor spinning. (works best around 3000+ rpm) Also, if the exhaust is cold, the fuel will condense back into liquid and not ignite properly before it ever gets near the plugs in the pipes so it helps if the car has been running for a while and is completely warmed up. It should work then assuming that the fuel pump and injectors still squirt fuel when there's no spark, as I'm not certain how the fuel pump trigger in the motor works. By the way, that little ignition box the kit should have come with will make a slight buzzing noise, but it's quite so listen carefully to tell that it is working. That's all i can think of for now. Flame throwers can be a lot of fun especially at night when people are tailgating you.

If a cop catches you doing this on the street, you're gonna go to jail.

You realize when that when you use that thing it cuts your spark off after you rev up so you're going to washing your cylinders with raw gas...bad stuff.

the cat problem has already been discussed so you know about that.

This is the old ghetto style flame thrower. There's a much better setup discussed on the web.

Where you put the plug in the pipe on a switch with it's own coil and then you also wire up a single injector with it's own fuel supply in the pipe with it's own switch before injector.

that way you dont screw with your engine. just flip both switches on while the engine is running and have fun.

I had a friend do this back in high school and he had a blast until he did it at a redlight and almost burned down this lady's car behind him and wound up in jail on attempted murder charges...