Flash Tune or Dyno Tune

GScotty

May 16, 2005
Marysville, Wa
I need advice on Tuning my 99 Cobra. I have the following mods.
1. JLT Ram Air Intake
2. March Performance Pulley's
3. 3.73 Gears
4. MGW Short throw Shifter
5. Mannaflow 2 1/2 inch X-pipe W/Cat Converters
6. Magnaflow 2 1/2 inch cat back exhaust & mufflers

Would a flash tuner pretty much give me a good tune rather than spend the big bucks for a dyno tune. Or are these mod's enough to consider any tune at all.
Thanks, Scotty

• Sponsors (?)

A custom tune could pick you up 10-15RWHP. Maybe more maybe less.
I haven't spent any time researching the flash tuners so I can't help you there.

From the limited information I have read it seems the handhelds to offer a lot.
Hope someone else can help you out.

I doubt you have enough power mods to justify a dyno tune. The box tune should be fine. That being said, I picked up 20hp from a dyno tune, but keep in mind that I am supercharged and have a bit more to work with.

Thanks for the info guys. From what I have heard a dyno tune can cost anywhere between $600-$1000.. for my non-supercharged engine I should probably stick to the box or flash tune although I would like to put it on the dyno some day just to see what it would pull.

Most tuners charge a one time fee, then if you do more upgrades you can go back for a significantly smaller fee. :scratch: I think Alternative is like $499 for a custom tune and then 100 for retunes after upgrades. :shrug:

i was even thinking about doing a chip next... doesnt seem worth it rigth now though i guess. i think i rather get springs, caster camber plates and subframe connectors. i think that'd help more in the long run seein my problem with keepin the car on the road :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info guys. It helps me understand the flash tuners a little better.
What choices do I have in buying a flash tuner. I know of the Diablosport Predator
and the Superchip Max Microtuner. It looks like they are both about $399.00 Are there any other choices out there?

Xcal2

Xcal2 is the newest one, I've heard good things about it.
One of my favorite things about the Predator though is it can read check engine codes from any car 1996 or later thru the OBDII port. This is pretty handy.