Floor pan rust

curtisboyte

Jun 21, 2007
mendenhall, ms
I just pulled thw carpet out on my 65 and found some rust, i found three places that when i used my wire brush it was all the way through. is this bad enough to replace the floor pans or am i just worried about really nothing. I was thinking of maybe filling it in with a wire welder and grind welds down and make sure to use a good undercoating to make sure it kills the rust. also what kind of rust killer and undercoating is everyone using.
View attachment 314120
View attachment 314121
View attachment 314122

let me know what yall think.

• Sponsors (?)

Those aren't too bad, and if you can weld them up without blowing a bigger hole in the floor, that would be a good way to go. As far as rust-proof paint, lots of people have great luck with POR-15 paint. Yopu can spray it or brush it on and you can get it through lots of places, like Eastwoods Tools.

Depends on the sizes of the holes and the integrity of the surrounding metal. If they're just pinholes and you've got solid metal just filling them is ok, slightly larger holes you might want to weld a patch over.
After my repairs I wire brush the area real well and then coated it with POR-15, it binds to rust and seals the metal from moisture and air preventing future rust problems, but follow their directions carefully.
For more info, you may want to check Oboebrian's FAQ sticky in Tech, and/or do a forum search in Tech for floorpans. Good Luck and keep us posted.