Flowmaster american thunder vs borla stinger

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by cali newbie, Nov 25, 2004.

1. cali newbie

cali newbie New Member

i would like to know what the difference in power gains are and in sound, which one has a drone or which one has a louder drone and any other complaints or positive comments u have.

2. quiksilver98

quiksilver98 New Member

To mix and match the sounds, flowmasters goes with the h-pipes and the borla goes with x-pipes, but for better performance, I'd go with borla, it's a strait-thru design exhaust, sounds best with x-pipes. If you're looking for a classic saleen sound, that's it. For muscle car like sound, flowmaster has chambered mufflers, so that would sound best with h-pipes, but it wouldn't give you as much horsepower as the flow-thru designed exhaust systems.

3. cali newbie

cali newbie New Member

thanks

that helped quite a bit but i still havent found any actualy hp numbers, does anyone know what gains ill get.

4. 04ShadowGT

04ShadowGT New Member

Borla advertises like 14.7 rwhp for the Stinger, but expect around 5 or 6, I'd say. (I still don't have mine on yet.) Gains might vary with different midpipes and headers.

5. kylew5

kylew5 New Member

Don't do Flows, my buddy put them on an 03 Snake and kicks himself daily. I, on the other hand went with a BBK LT, BBK O/R X, and Stinger combo, its just plain obnoxious! Flowmasters are to raspy in my opinion, don't do it man. This should be a no brainer.

Love,
    Kyle

6. Darkhorse845

Darkhorse845 Banned

Flow's hands down for sound!

7. lazerred02

lazerred02 New Member

I prefer flows because it is the classic sound of a true muscle car

8. Blown04

Blown04 New Member

9. highvolts

highvolts Member

There is a stinger soundclip on my website in my signature. Check it out. I'll be adding another one soon.. I just added a Mac Catted Prochamber:) I Love it.

10. XStanger

XStanger Founding Member

I have borla catback/high flow H-pipe and the sound is great. Light drone at 2000rpm and awesome at WOT!

11. barthy00GT

barthy00GT New Member

I almost wish I would change my flowmaster American thunders out with Borla Stings or better yet side pipes, but I already had the Flowmaster on my car when I bought it. I also have added BBK Full length Headers and a BBK shorty off road X-pipe. Athought it may be too loud for some I have not talked to a person in my town that doesn't like the sound. I think i'm also the only 4.6 with more than an intake in my town..... I'd say try to find some one with the exhaust setup your thinkin about and have a listen too it before you spend your money. Personaly I love my setup now just courious on what other brands sound like.

12. Stang|ess

Stang|ess seeking cyber partner(s)

Sorry to hijack, but what xpipe do you recommend with the Stingers? I'm going to go catless, no emissions in Hawaii :)

13. XStanger

XStanger Founding Member

I think the H pipe compliments the borla's better imo.

14. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

I listened to almost every 4.6L exhaust out there before picking on. I really wanted to get it right on the first try. I was looking for a sound that i would be happy with for the rest of the time i had the car.

I heard the Borlas, and the Magnaflows and the SLP's and Bassini but in the end i went with Flowmaster.

IN MY OPINION, it's the best sounding Mustang exhaust there is. Since my car is just going to be a stock daily driver, i could care less about HP gains. I just wanted something that sounds good when i drive around.

But in this thread you will notice people support the exhaust they went with. Someone with Borla will say it's the best, someone with flows will think theirs rocks. You really need to listen to clips and videos and cars in person and ask around. I must have pulled next to a dozen stangs on the street and got their attention just to ask what their exhaust combo was. You can't go by what other's opinions are on what sounds best, you need to decide for yourself.