Flowmaster Owners Check In!!!

DFG 5OH

Aug 28, 2004
Louisville, KY
I've got a few questions. I'm looking into getting most of an exhaust for christmas. I'd like to get an Off-Road H Pipe, and a Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back.

Question 1-
How bad do flowmasters rust? I've heard its pretty bad.
Question 2-
Where can i find the cheapest place to order a Flowmaster catback?
Question 3-
What H-pipe should i get? I was looking into a cheap Pacesetter.
Question4-
I'm on a limited budget, and was wondering if i should wait and buy shorty headers and put it all on at the same time, or go ahead and get the cat-back and mid-pipe, and wait on headers.

Any more imput will be greatly appriciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had flows for 5 years now on my 94GT. I dont have ANY problems with rust. The only problem i had was a paper bag getting caught on my damn Off road H-pipe and melting permanently to it.

I would go ahead and put the Pipes/mufflers on when you get them. You gotta get the exhaust sound going man.

I'ts been so long I cant tell you what setup i have. I do remember they are FLows with an o/r pipe and Hooker Super comp shorties. I am VERY happy with the setup...

You can get a MAC H-pipe for $109 thru many places. I've had my Flowmasters for 2 years and the rust isn't too bad, and thats with driving thru 2 Wisconsin winters.

You gotta love the sound though, classic muscle car. It should be our national anthem.

My flows have absolutely no rust, and they sound great. If your going to do them get the H pipe at the same time. I did just the flowmasters and it was'nt loud enough for my tastes, but once I put the mid pipe on it was amazing!! I actually did headers first but thats not needed, I just happened to buy those first. You can get an OR/H on ebay for about 120 shipped and it will bolt right up. As for the flowmaster cat back, I did not order the whole set, I had a guy here in town weld the mufflers in and then weld chrome tips on, it was around $270 and he did a great job(very trusted exhaust guy in our town)
Good luck! :cheers:

don't get a pace setter. They come in three pieces and leak like crazy. The reason I went with BBK for both the O/R X I have now and the high flow catted H I had before was because they are one piece designs. A bit unwieldy to ship and recieve but worth it. Fit up like it was made for it.

I'm running a true bastardized system too, MAC headers, BBK mids, and Flowmasters.

I would do it all at the same time... headers by far suck the most, I did the mid pipe and the headers at the same time. The mid pipe is literally a 2 hour job if you've never done it before and don't have air tools. With air tools and experience it can be done in 45 mins.

Headers... are a different story. Buy a case of liquid wrench and a case of beer.

I've had my flows for approximately 4 months now. The previous owner had them for about 2 years. There is absolutely no rust on them. The sound is great also, when I'm inside the house and my dad starts it up in the garage, I can totally feel it and my house is pretty big. I want people to hear me from 2 blocks away so now i'm getting an o/r MAC H pipe. Good luck man. :nice:

well i saw pics of the Pacesetter H pipes and there were one piece units. Where could i but The American Thunder catback for the cheapest? I'm going to my mechanic who can also do exhaust work, and i'm gonna see what he can do for me.

The Rust isent bad at all, Ive had mine on my car for 3yrs now and very very little rust on them.
If u could only spend some more money, id say get the prochamber, thats what I have and its great. The only problem is im not the loudest anymore. But if your lookin for a cheap good workin pipe go with either a x or h pipe.

I would say U to get the headers at the same time. The collector bolts tend to break and there a bitch to fix once there broke. I got my Mac shorties for 146$ online and im very satifyed with them alot

matthiasj said:
Do you guys know of anywhere to get a one piece o/r H-Pipe???

I dont have any problems with my Flows. I have the BBK LT's and the BBK O/R H-Pipe.

I didnt search everywhere to have the best deal but for stuff like that, I wanted to get it at Summit(last year). Shipping is VERY fast and free (at least to NY state) and the company itself is amazing. Never had one complaint.

Lets get back on topic here...i didnt know that most off road h's came in pieces...it i tighen the bolts like they should be, will it be ok?? And WHERE CAN I BUY A FLOWMASTER CAT-BACK?? I cant find very many dealers that feature an american thunder catback for a 94-95. ALSO, i have a guy in town that is awesome with exhaust, he has alumanized steel, and benders and such, and could fab up me an exhaust. Would this be the route to go? Just get new tips, and mufflers welded in my stock exhaust with a custom made H-pipe or something? if i take out the cats, and weld in pipe, will it be any different than a 2.5 pipeing, with 2.25???