Flywheel Starter Problem

YellowMustang21

Jan 21, 2004
Hi, I am having problems gettin my starter and flywheel to match up. The starter hits the flywheel but only grabs the first 1/8 inch of the teeth of the flywheel. I have replaced the starter and it still has this problem. I am going to replace the flywheel and ring gear and get a new starter.

I am thinking that maybe the flywheel is possible offset or something which is causing the flywheel and starter to not mesh . I am using a '69 mustang 3 speed tranny in my 65 mustang with a '78 302 engine. Does the crankshaft on the '78 302 inset into the tranny deeper then the '69 302? If so is there a different combination flywheel and starter that I should use?

How do you know how many teeth the flywheel should have on it. Does this make a difference to the starter?

Any help on solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I am thinking your starter nose cone may be too short or something. Hard to tell without seeing it. Have you tried looking at a starter for a '78 to see if there are any physical differences? Wish I could help more.

there is typically 2 different offsets on the starters, make shure you have tried both one has the gear on the starter sitting flush with where it bolts up, and the other sits about 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch inside of where it bolts up. sounds like you need the one that sticks into the bellhousing a little...... hope this helps

As I recall, there are two types of starters for these cars, Long-nose (or something to that effect) and short-nose. Most cars (though this is not invariable) with manual transmissions require long-nose types, while autos take the shorter one.

I can't remember why, I jsut remember reading it on a post here some time ago.

Are you sure you don't have starters for an auto?