ford racing balancer on a 347

cctinnell

Jan 27, 2004
Arkansas
i am trying to install a new ford racing balancer on my 347 that i got from another car. the old balancer i did not think was of the quality of the ford racing so i bought the new one, my question is would the ford racing balancer hit the water pump? i can see where the person who owned the motor before me grinded off part of the water pump, but it still looks like the balancer is hitting when i try to put it on. oh yea and by the way i cant get the balancer to go on all the way. PLEASE HELP :shrug: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Normally the balancer will not slide on by its self. There are balancer install kits that pull it into place.
Some people have gotten away with pushing or tapping it on far enough so that the retaining bolt can be used to pull it the rest of the way.
As far as hitting the waterpump, that does not sound right. The balancer would have to be pretty oversized to hit the waterpump. It should clear.
Also, did you check the counterbalance of the Ford Racing unit to make sure it matches the one you are pulling off?