Ford racing Cold Air Induction

• Sponsors (?)

Ford finally has a pic of the cold air induction kit!!!!!

Here it is!!! now just need some power gain stats, and a Price!! :banana:

Attachments

• M-9600-S197.jpg
    M-9600-S197.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 497
hey boss 4.6, need more info on where you found this item, google and dogpile turned up nothing under the part number listed also looked on the ford racing site and found nothing. Interested in price and tune options and or requirements. Does use of this part this then keep warranty valid since it's a ford part?

i have been waiting to buy a CAI. i just dont like something about each of them that are out there right now. i really like this one. i would like to see more views of it. guess i will have to wait it out, unless someone wants to jump the gun and order it today so the rest of us can have all the details :D

i also wonder what ford is doing about a tune...?!?!?

Well I really like that one..Makes me wonder what that hole on the top is for? Looks like maybe a plate goes on for now..Looks too thin of a gasket for a hood. I wonder if that is thier strut brace too.. Was hoping for a 3 point oh well.. I would like to know about the tune too.. Looks kind of like the k&n one the tube for sure. :)

I like that it's secured from moving around.

It looks like it uses the same bolt hole that the stock air box was connected to.

One thing that can be improved upon with the JLT CAI is that it's not secured from moving around. The tube can move up/down and forwards/backwards.

This may have been covered in another thread but why are they called COLD air kits when they are breathing in hot air from the engine compartment? If it sealed against a scoop on the hood or had a snorkle into the fender I'd buy the name. But all of the CAIs I've seen for the '05 are no more "cold air" than the round K&N on top of my Holley (1967) is, and since I have a functional hood scoop I'd say even less.

Edbert said:
why are they called COLD air kits when they are breathing in hot air from the engine compartment? If it sealed against a scoop on the hood or had a snorkle into the fender I'd buy the name ... all of the CAIs I've seen for the '05 are no more "cold air" than the round K&N on top of my Holley (1967) is, and since I have a functional hood scoop I'd say even less.

good point!

Edbert said:
This may have been covered in another thread but why are they called COLD air kits when they are breathing in hot air from the engine compartment? If it sealed against a scoop on the hood or had a snorkle into the fender I'd buy the name. But all of the CAIs I've seen for the '05 are no more "cold air" than the round K&N on top of my Holley (1967) is, and since I have a functional hood scoop I'd say even less.

Because it's a name taken from the import world.

The "correct" name for the CAI we all know and love on the Stang is a Short Ram Intake. A true Cold Air Intake would have another section of tube connected where the filter is located (see picture above), and THAT tube would run down to the fender well, or front bumper, etc, to actually get cold air compared to underhood temps.

SixFivePony said:
A true Cold Air Intake would have another section of tube connected where the filter is located (see picture above), and THAT tube would run down to the fender well, or front bumper, etc, to actually get cold air compared to underhood temps.

There's an already opening in the '05's inner fender that runs down to the fender well. Its right in front of the OEM Airbox where that section of tube could go through.

ALSO,,, Ford has generously seen fit to leave us a connecting flange there on the Airbox opening as well!! (I'm sure that they saw this coming)

Someone just needs to engineer that little section of tube and they'll have a goldmine ... :worship:

and remember :stick: that the V8 and the V6 share the same OEM Airbox

there's plenty of money in this one ....

Edbert said:
This may have been covered in another thread but why are they called COLD air kits when they are breathing in hot air from the engine compartment?

I have always wondered that too! :shrug:

I see from the pic, that the air filter is fully open to the engine compartment. To me, that means it is sucking up the (very!) hot air from within the engine compartment. I mean air that is heated up from flowing through the radiator first, and gets heated even more by flowing past the engine block.

How in the world is that cold air induction?

how about this idea... at idle you are sucking in hot air. But at 75 mph you are getting a lot of fresh air, apparently so much air that hoods have blown of the race cars (although a lot of it is through the radiator).
My point is that at speed, there is so much air being forced into the engine compartment does it have time to heat up? So I'm curious as to just how much difference the air temp really is...?