Friends of PIR.... (Potential closure of PIR)

duner said:
I see that we have some passionate folks here. However, complaining here won’t keep the track open. We need to take some action. I completed the contact form on the http://www.friendsofpir.com/ web site. I included a link to this forum on the contact sheet. I will also be researching other ways we can make a difference. As I find other ways we can make a difference, I will share them in this thread. Please don’t leave it to me. We all need to help fight this. The more people that show a serious interest in keeping the track open the better chance we have.

It occurs to me that the local shop owners have a huge stake in the continued operation of the track. I imagine a significant amount of revenue is made from enthusiasts who frequent PIR on open track days and especially the late night drags. I bet the closure of PIR will affect your bottom lines.

Allen, Jeff, and Tim what are you guys doing to ensure the track continues to operate?

Duner,
I signed the petition on the 26th and consented to letting them publish the Krazy Koncepts Performance name. I am looking into the advisory council to see what all is involved. KKP supports PIR 100% and yes I understand the economic benefits of it as a shop owner. The real benefit to most of us is to have a safe place to race. I think this petition should be sent to all local speed/performance shop and posted on other forums to get everyone involved. I personally think Keith or Jeff H. would be good candidates for the advisory council.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

ASD said:
Duner,
I signed the petition on the 26th and consented to letting them publish the Krazy Koncepts Performance name. I am looking into the advisory council to see what all is involved. KKP supports PIR 100% and yes I understand the economic benefits of it as a shop owner. The real benefit to most of us is to have a safe place to race. I think this petition should be sent to all local speed/performance shop and posted on other forums to get everyone involved. I personally think Keith or Jeff H. would be good candidates for the advisory council.:nice:

Excellent! I'm glad to see that you are out in front of this thing, Alan. One of the reasons I brought you guys into it because your exposure to a wider audience than this little spot on the net. All of you shop owners can help bring lots of exposure. I appreciate that you are already moving on this. Please keep us up to date.

Keith

gospeedgo said:
I know, but I am running defense for him so you got me.

Is there an active petition? If so, do they allow just anyone to have copies and get them signed? We see enough customers to fill up a few sheets- same with Fast, KKP, RREV, Supertune, Somers, Tmac, Dustys, Alignment Brake Specialties, Punks Exhaust, Wongs Performance, Baxters, Radke's, not to mention other clubs, events and tracks.

The first step is getting these "legal" petitions though. Any ideas?

-Jeff
If you guys get some petitions I'll take as many as I can get and put em at the front counter at my schwab location, and pass em along to all the local to pir schwabs as well!

Every racer, poser, and fan should drive by the police station nearest to PIR in a long single file and do a massive smokey burn out. Then yell, "this is what you will see every Friday and Saturday night as soon as PIR closes."

Cry babies make me sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think all of us banding together, and getting shop owners / Schwab stores involved will make a huge difference. I have no doubt we can gather more signatures than they can with enough effort.

Anything I can do to help, I'm on board. Reach me here.

savepir.com anyone? Its available, and I'll get it and build it if the heat starts coming down.

I don't see PIR closing, but I do see changes on how late they can run and noise restrictions on the cars running. PIR is not just late night drags, they run champ cars there too. There's just too much revenue for the city of portland to get rid of it all together. Portland Raceway was a different story, it was a 1/4 mile dirt track, there wasn't enough money in it to keep it right accross the street from a residential neighborhood. PIR is not as close to the houses as PR was. There's also too much history there with things like Vanport. So as I said, I don't see it going away, but I do see changes.

Plus, even if the track was gone, they would be rid of the noise on a couple of nights a week, but still have PDX 24x7. Noise is part of living in city limits, you want it quite, move to Amboy, WA or something.

If someone can get the petitions going, i will take some and try to get them signed at school. I am sure most of the people in my auto shop class would sign them. Mabey we can get some of the cutstom car shops in town like Steves Auto Restoration, Hot Rod & Truck Parts, Delco Hot Rods & Customs Inc to keep some in their offices too.Mabey someone could contact the Multnomah Hot Rod Council and see if they can be of any help. Also mabey getting some of the import shops involved too, Rrev, ground zero, ect... The more people who speak out about this the harder time the ass holes will have getting the track moved.

93FESTER said:
If someone can get the petitions going, i will take some and try to get them signed at school. I am sure most of the people in my auto shop class would sign them. Mabey we can get some of the cutstom car shops in town like Steves Auto Restoration, Hot Rod & Truck Parts, Delco Hot Rods & Customs Inc to keep some in their offices too.Mabey someone could contact the Multnomah Hot Rod Council and see if they can be of any help. Also mabey getting some of the import shops involved too, Rrev, ground zero, ect... The more people who speak out about this the harder time the ass holes will have getting the track moved.
I can get one out to steves as well as custom auto restoration, and chevy connection, I honestly dont have the time to go through the process of getting the forms, but if someone does, pm me and I'll be more than happy to hand em out and collect from everyone that I know. :nice:

edit: holy crap matt gots himself a moostang!!! yehaww!!!

In the sprit of doing my part, i send a email out to the editor of willamentte week telling them that this is a vary important story and any help they could give would really further our cause. We really need as much information as we can get, how much money the track makes annually, what the decrease in street racing has been, stuff like that. Its really a big game of who can make the biggest stink in the media, and if we can strike first and get our point of veiw out first, we can win this battle.

And yep i got a mustang finally, now if i can just get my wife to let me drive to more.
Jordan, did you get rid of your 98?? :jaw:

93FESTER said:
In the sprit of doing my part, i send a email out to the editor of willamentte week telling them that this is a vary important story and any help they could give would really further our cause. We really need as much information as we can get, how much money the track makes annually, what the decrease in street racing has been, stuff like that. Its really a big game of who can make the biggest stink in the media, and if we can strike first and get our point of veiw out first, we can win this battle.

And yep i got a mustang finally, now if i can just get my wife to let me drive to more.
Jordan, did you get rid of your 98?? :jaw:
I did.. I know have paul bradys old coupe :banana:

Same thing happened to Washougal MX park. The track had been there for years, holding MX Nationals and such, its built a huge name and reputation. People start moving into the area and dont like it, even though they hardly hold races there any more (compared to most tracks). Next year is the last year for MX Nationals.

Repostyle said:
I don't see PIR closing, but I do see changes on how late they can run and noise restrictions on the cars running. PIR is not just late night drags, they run champ cars there too. There's just too much revenue for the city of portland to get rid of it all together. Portland Raceway was a different story, it was a 1/4 mile dirt track, there wasn't enough money in it to keep it right accross the street from a residential neighborhood. PIR is not as close to the houses as PR was. There's also too much history there with things like Vanport. So as I said, I don't see it going away, but I do see changes.

I hope you are right and the track stays open.

They already have restrictions in place at the track. 10pm is already a cut off point for loud cars during the late night drags. As I said earlier, the Champ Cars could not warm up before the race on Sunday because of noise restrictions. They had to warm up for Sunday’s race on Saturday afternoon. I’m sure there are other noise restrictions in place.

Yes, the track makes money but let's look at the situation. ALMS just finished their last race of a 3-year contract and will not be back in Portland for many years to come if ever. ALMS cited low attendance and poor sponsorship. Champ Car is on their last leg in Portland. I think they have one more year on a 3-year deal. These are the major races held at PIR and they have experienced a downward trend in attendance and sponsorships. Other races such as the Rose Cup and the Historics are great races but only several hundred people showed up for those races. This weighs heavily on the bottom line.

Add noise restrictions to poor attendance and crappy sponsorships and the big boys will look for greener pastures. I understand that PIR doesn’t have a major drag race event because of the noise restrictions.

When we look at the overall situation, there are weaknesses that can be exploited by the small group of whiny crybabies. Let’s not forget whom we are dealing with. After all this is the mayor that rode with Critical Mass and the previous mayor never had a driver’s license.

I have been hearing about a possibility to close this track since I moved here. What really motivated me now are how organized the opposition is and comments made by the mayor about the closure or relocation of PIR. In addition, this topic was covered at the HPDE events I attended this year. The car clubs are becoming increasingly concerned.

Sure, that neighborhood will still have assloads of noise if PIR closes. However, the mayor and other politicos can claim they decreased noise in the neighborhood after they close PIR. We all know that’s poop but stranger and more ****ed up things have happened.

here at pir with the big dogs, alms and champ this was the only stop where they had to run mufflers because pir has a max decible limit of 102-104 range and durring the club races they do enforce that. alot of the vetec civics and the larger cars gt-1 and gt-2 need to run good enough mufflers or they're too loud.

Portland Politics

With Tom Potter for a mayor there is no telling what moronic action he will support! He is an incompetant fool and closing PIR would be something he could be capable of supporting if his equally moronic supporters stand behind the effort.

With Tom Potter for a mayor there is no telling what moronic action he will support! He is an incompetant fool and closing PIR would be something he could be capable of supporting if his equally moronic supporters stand behind the effort.

Well, I've heard that they are re-paving it this fall, closing it early to get it done in time for there Christmas light thing. All good news for us racers!!:nice:

Yeah the following monday after the last race weekend they had already started tearing into the track. Theyve been on it everyday i come home from work since then. I couldnt see portland closeing it after ALL THE MONEY THEY POUR INTO IT! OH wait it's portland they do stupid things like this and LOVE TO WASTE MONEY. :nonono: peace

john:p