From 11mpg to 24.65!

QangMartoq

Feb 27, 2004
Lakeland, FL
Damn I've been away for too long. (Hurricanes, a job switch, and moving will do that though..)

Anyway, I was getting *atrocious* gas mileage on my '87 vert, even after a tuneup. (Plugs, wires, timing belt, fuel filter) I actually dropped from about 180 miles/tank to 130. After thinking it over, I took the Stang back to a local shop that does all my work, and complained about it. Lo and behold, they found that the new timing belt had jumped a tooth and after an hour and a half, I had the keys back in my hand.

It's like a new car. Much more responsive, and the mileage has more than doubled. Thankfully the work on the belt was done under warranty, so I was happy for that.

Hopefully this will help someone struggling with mileage issues. I don't drive much anymore (Getting my last 130 mile tank took 12 days) so the newfound mileage should mean 3 weeks to a month between fillups.

One thing I did notice though.. After the shop had finished with my car, I drove to Tampa and back to test the mileage. (80.1 miles) On the interstate, my car shook violently from 70mph and up. I took it up to 85 and it almost shook itself apart! Any thoughts? I'm guessing suspension - But what part of it? Though I trust my mechanic's assessments, I'm not comfortable letting him guess at it, as his guesses cost me money I don't have.

I'm hoping to drive from here to California sometime in the next 6 months, and possibly tow something for the trip, so I need the susppension issue resolved.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Check your tires for knots on the sidewalls. I had a violent shake when I first bought my car. I didn't check the tires and 3 weeks later the right front blew half of it's tread off. It slung around the wheel well at 65mph and tore the inner plastic completly off and ripped the wire harness for my sidemarker out too. Somehow the lens was gone. :/

Have the wheels and tires balanced. If there is a tread problem, I have no doubt it will be noticed, and you will be approched with the opprtunity to buy new tires.
...But if it is a problem which that tire shop can't fix, don't count on ever hearing about it. :rolleyes: