From LS1.com - Lutz says no new Camaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Found this on LS1.com:

GM ends the rumour: Firebird, Camaro no more.

There will be no revival of the Pontiac Firebird and Chevy Camaro no matter how much the fans wish it, according to a higher authority at General Motors.

How high an authority? Try Bob Lutz, vice chairman of General Motors. What Lutz says can be taken to the bank, and he's just put a kibosh of persistent rumours among enthusiasts that the sporty GM twins might be coming back.

Lutz has revealed that in order to get the CAW to agree to the closure of the Camaro plant in Ste. Therese, Que., the company was forced to promise the union it would not build the car anywhere else.

The company intends to honour that pledge, because "a deal's a deal," Lutz said recently. That means no more dead chickens on hoods for a decade or so.

After that? Well, even deal makers do eventually retire.

Comment: Doesnt' mean there won't be a RWD v8 from GM, but it won't be an Fbody and it won't be a Camaro. I expect the GTO to continue and perhaps a Chevelle or completely new car to emerge. Sucks for Fbody fans though.

• Sponsors (?)

I really don't care what they call them as long as Detroit brings out more affordable 2 door RWD V8 options. I'm guessing Lutz still plans to do this. And frankly, the Mustang is the only pony car that ever appealed to me--never really liked the GM or Chrysler versions that much (Camaro, Challenger, etc.). GM and Chrysler do better with muscle cars (GTO, Charger, etc.). A Chevelle--ie a lower buck GTO--would be very cool.

Lower buck??? I doubt it, GM IMO has become the greediest of them all and nothing that comes out of GM is lower buck. I think the Mustang will always out price anything in it's competition (and I am a GM loyal) Ford is king where the pony car is concerned and likely always will be.

Honestly I do wish that GM would put out a camero or fire chicken to contend with the Mustang. Right now the Mustang is pretty much the only car in its class and the Cobra isn't suppose to contend with the vetts although it tries because thats the next closest thing. Competition brings out the best in everything no matter what and right now we have nothing new to test against. People are still running their old GM F-bodies which by the way wern't even made in America(American muscle my @ss). We need new players in the game is all im saying.
Kevin

Chevelle SS is on the way. Chevy Hi Performance had an article I believe. Its the same sort of interior as the GTO, but a better exterior. It has the same power and 6 speed, and will trap 104-105mph stock. Problem is it is still heavy (3700-3800lbs) like the gto.

Just as long as Ford brings the Fairlane back.

2 door coupe
Stretched D2C (Mustang) platform with 112" wheel base.
196" long
IRS
50-50 F/R weight balance
Short front overhang
rear overhang longer than Mustang
350 HP normally aspirated
Actually can fit 4 adults into it
15 cu ft trunk
More bells & whistles heated seats, Nav system etc.
Some slick styling that evokes memories of the 66 - 67 Fairlane

I'd get one of those instead of a 05 Mustang. :nice:

RealQuick said:
Chevelle SS is on the way. Chevy Hi Performance had an article I believe. Its the same sort of interior as the GTO, but a better exterior. It has the same power and 6 speed, and will trap 104-105mph stock. Problem is it is still heavy (3700-3800lbs) like the gto.

That was a photochop. It said in the mag this is what Chevy "should build". I would rather see a Buick GN of that platform with a blown V6.

Welp when this news gets out and becomes more common knowledge GM will have just cemented the Mustang as being an extremely well selling car as every Chevy guy and his momma jumps ship. I can't believe they are going forward with the GTO/Chevelle. I'd be very surprised if to many people buy those things after they become more common.
Thank you Ford for keeping the Stang alive. It's about to pay off big time.

Omegalock said:
Welp when this news gets out and becomes more common knowledge GM will have just cemented the Mustang as being an extremely well selling car as every Chevy guy and his momma jumps ship. I can't believe they are going forward with the GTO/Chevelle. I'd be very surprised if to many people buy those things after they become more common.

your a 'Kiss Me''Kiss Me''Kiss Me'....try owning a stang before...sharing your crap

Omegalock said:

isnt there a huffy forum for you? untill you upgrade?

So then what will they be calling the 2+2 RWD V8 Chevy coupe coming out in late 2006? :D The story I heard is that the Camaro can't be built for 4 years out side of the St. T quebec plant (or at least a car named Camaro).

Zeta is the RWD platform that the 2007 GTO will be on. That platform is modular, so it can be lengthened and shortened, I'd expect the Camaro to be a little smaller and lighter than the next GTO. Think of the GTO as a more grown up, luxury Camaro (with a real usable back seat for adults)

Status
Not open for further replies.