front end squeak when turning wheel - rack and pinion?

Hi,

My car has been making a squeaking noise for a while now. It happens when the wheels are turned left and right. I jacked it up yesterday and it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. I'm not sure if it's the rack and pinion but it sounds like the problem is under the rubber boot that's connected to the arm that moves in and out when the wheel is turned.

Does this sound like a rack and pinion problem? The car has 75K miles on it. I try to do all my own work... is this an easy replacement? Expensive parts? Specialty tools?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

when i had that problem, the tie rods had gone bad. but i think that IS the area your talking about. the problem is, you can't grease the stock ones unless you do some tricks... i got them replaced since i didn't know what the problem was or have tools to do the work.

Yeah, I've read a lot of people saying tie rods or ball joints. Anyone know how to rule out one or the other?

The suspension is stock except for sub-frame connectors. If I have to replace tie rods, I'm sure there are better ones than Ford OEM. Are there performance tie rod ends? Or at least grease-able ones?

Thanks!

I had a squeek from the front end and couldn't figure it out. I finally did. I pulled the rack bolts out one at a time and lightly greased the bolts down the entire length. Stopped my squeek! 'Course my car was 6 months old.

had the same exact problem. it turned out to be the inner tie rod ends, and no, ford didn't put any grease fittings( they couldn't help us DIYers a little?!) I wound up having the rack replaced. it was only 30 bucks more then replacing the inner tie rods.

don't think its the rack and pinion

look at the similar post. It probably is a ball joint, that's what it was for me. They're cheap and somewhat easy. But take it to a trusted friend with a shop if you can. If it is a ball joint, do it asap, cuz the wheel will fall off if it breaks. They say on the other post that the Tie rods can be greased via slicing the boot, then resealing it with rubber cement. My squeaking has come back now. Could just be that my replacement joints need lubed, cuz they need it every 3000. We might try the lubing of the tie rods tomorrow and I will post the results.

TSB 04-24-8 2002-2004 creak from steering

Would be handy to know what model year car we are dealing with. Why? Look up Ford TSB 04-24-8. If this is your problem, it is a very easy fix to replace the through K-member tubes.

Seems a waste to replace expensive parts if it can be fixed with cheap parts.

Note, the creak normally happens near the limits of steering. If the problem can be reproduced, see if the sound is coming from the K-member/steering rack. If so, and the MY is 2002-2003, likely this TSB is for you.
>>
TSB 05-14-3

07/25/05

SQUEAK/CREAK NOISE FROM STEERING RACK WHEN TURNING

FORD:
2002-2004 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 04-24-8 to update the Action.

ISSUE
Some 2002-2004 Mustang vehicles may exhibit a squeak or creak type noise when turning.

ACTION
Replace both power steering gear tube brackets. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 211-02 Steering Gear Mounting. Tighten the steering gear mounting fasteners to 52 lb-ft (70 N.m).

Hello guys,

My 01 GT has the right front side black boot torn and is literally dry rotting. I have been greasing it up until now and that temporarily stops the squeeking. Problem I am having is I have taken it to a couple places and have been told it was my bushings and boots, cost me $350 for both sides. The other place the guy didn't put it up on a lift or jack and look, but says its the tie rod ends and wants $689 for both sides. I have a real problem with these quotes for 2 reasons, prices and not sure I trust either one.
The parts are only around $15 for the bushings and boots.
I'm in OKC, OK and don't know any mechanics here yet. Both these places were referred. Can anyone offer me any advice on what I should do. Thanks guys for ur help.