Front Suspension Noise

Tim65GT

Feb 24, 2004
West Texas
I hear a sort of clicking or snapping kind of noise from the front suspension. I'm sure it's doing it all the time, but hear it only while driving at low speed with the windows down.

When stopped, I can stand on the front bumper and compress the springs, but it doesn't always duplicate it. Yesterday I pushed on the fender and rocked it side to side, and the sound comes back exactly every time it rocks. I had my wife push while I listened and it is definetly coming from both sides.

It's got to be something new I replaced, 'cause it didn't do it before and I replaced almost everything. I think it might be the Upper or lower control arms. Is it likely the bushings or ball joints were not installed correctly by whoever builds the Kits from Mustangs Plus?

Anyone else deal with a problem like this? I still have the originals, but there must be a better way than replacing parts.

• Sponsors (?)

The control arms are standard rubber bushings, buthe the Sway bar is Poly.

If I were to guess, it's like the lower control arm bushing holes are too large and they are moving back and forth over the bolts. Were there different diameter bushings installed in 65-66 cars?

As far as I know the ID of the lower arm bushing never changed but I am definately not an authority on that.

If you feel that the lower arm bushings have the wrong ID, I'd replace them ASAP. Call your vendor and tell them. You may need to yank them and double check with a caliper to verify, a vendor may not believe you otherwise.

the upper shafts that are bolted to the shock tower and hold your upper a-arm. Check those asap. jack up the car so the front end is off the ground and wiggle the tire side to side and up and down and you should be able to see were the noise is coming from.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't taken anything apart or tried to tighten anything yet, I was trying to get ideas on what to check and see if anyone else had a similar situation at some time.

The car drives fine (other than the noise), so whatever is causing the noise, it's not moving far.

It takes more force to re-create the noise by rocking it in the garage than what I could put on the wheel when it's jacked up. I'll definetly check the shaft bolts.