Fuel pouring out my tail pipes

mred03gt

Dec 10, 2003
Well, my car started really hard today and it is blowing raw gas out the pipes. I thought it might be my adjustable regulator because my gauge was going to zero with just the key on. I put the stock regulator on and it was holding pressure but still just throwing gas out the tail pipes. I even pulled my emu and tried the factory computer with the same result. The only thing that I can think of is the injerctors, but they are not that old. I hate to replace them if it something stupid that I have not thought of. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Run a cylinder balance test with a code reader, and if any particular cylinders come up as being the culprit, swap injector to different cylinders and run the test again. If the week cylinder has moved to that new location, than you have found the problem injector.

1TallMF said:
Run a cylinder balance test with a code reader, and if any particular cylinders come up as being the culprit, swap injector to different cylinders and run the test again. If the week cylinder has moved to that new location, than you have found the problem injector.

Ditto...

Or you can start yanking spark plugs and see which ones are fouled.
Scott

Thanks for your help guys. I was afraid this was the case. Yes, it is pure 93 octane. You should have seen the front of my wife's Taurus and my neighbors must love me. It was all over the ground and if you ran your finger in the tail pipe you could get it to run out. I wish I could run the test with the code scanner but it won't run on its own and don't want to push my bad luck. I will check the plugs. Thanks again, I have to get this fixed this week or the 4.6 is going to the track and the wife won't be happy.

Scott

Good points here, it does seem unlikely that liquid fuel would get to the tailpipes, it would most likely have evaporated in the system or got burnt up by the cats (if you have them). I've seen cars where the muffler exploded after an accumulation of gas that ignited with exhaust heat. Last but not least, the smell of raw fuel dripping at the tailpipes is strong enough to be smelt half a block away, there's no gray area here. You'd know right away if it was gas or water.

And one last thought: if it does smell like gas but not alot, it is possible that its just water (condensation) coming out the tailpipes and that there is a small gas leak elsewhere under the car.

Alright. I'm out. Good luck

Well, I ran it and pulled the plugs. #4 and #5 were soaking wet. I will change the injectors tonight. I still think it is wierd for two to go at the same time.

Scott

1TallMF said:
Good points here, it does seem unlikely that liquid fuel would get to the tailpipes, it would most likely have evaporated in the system or got burnt up by the cats (if you have them). I've seen cars where the muffler exploded after an accumulation of gas that ignited with exhaust heat. Last but not least, the smell of raw fuel dripping at the tailpipes is strong enough to be smelt half a block away, there's no gray area here. You'd know right away if it was gas or water.

And one last thought: if it does smell like gas but not alot, it is possible that its just water (condensation) coming out the tailpipes and that there is a small gas leak elsewhere under the car.

Alright. I'm out. Good luck

Good info and there is always this sure fire test :D

Put your finger on a drip and put it to your nose or the tip of your tongue.

My bet is .............. your gonna find its water.

Grady