Fuel pump suggestions

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
local parts stores carry the brand "airtex" which seems to be a popular OE replacement. its around $100. are there any others out there that you guys would recommend? walbro is a popular one but i'm not if they make a direct replacement. the LPH is quite a bit higher and my car is stock with bolt ons. pretty sure i can use a pump with a higher lph but wasnt sure if that might put a strain on the other fuel components. pumps on late model resto state that 'modification is required'.

thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

local parts stores carry the brand "airtex" which seems to be a popular OE replacement. its around $100. are there any others out there that you guys would recommend? walbro is a popular one but i'm not if they make a direct replacement. the LPH is quite a bit higher and my car is stock with bolt ons. pretty sure i can use a pump with a higher lph but wasnt sure if that might put a strain on the other fuel components. pumps on late model resto state that 'modification is required'.

thanks for your input.

Do you plan on any future mods, such as a blower or no2? I ask, because it would be a good time to drop in a bigger fuel pump now since you need one, that way you are prepared for later.

Alot of folks use the focus svt pump as a drop in. If staying with current mods, i would look into what the dealership has too. Lethal performance has the walbro wiring kit available if you want to use one for $29.99

Put the act focus pump in and call it a day...that's what I did....easy swap and I don't have to go to the parts store every other month to replace the craptastic fuel pump they sell...

Airtex is notorious for going bad very quickly

been doing more reading and research. seems there are several that have been disappointed by airtex pumps - just as you say. no big plans for the car as far as FI or nos. ive heard the focus option is a popular one but not sure where to buy. walbro is another option. even tho they require 'modification', will the install be straight forward?

been doing more reading and research. seems there are several that have been disappointed by airtex pumps - just as you say. no big plans for the car as far as FI or nos. ive heard the focus option is a popular one but not sure where to buy. walbro is another option. even tho they require 'modification', will the install be straight forward?

Here is the svt focus

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/Mustang Fuel Pump Upgrade.htm

And here are two walbro pumps that need no modification, completely drop in and plug in for your years (others as well)

Stock flow 121 liters
http://www.fuel-pumps.net/tu228.html

290 liters
http://www.fuel-pumps.net/tu228hp.html

Check tousley ford (tousleyfordpart.com) for the focus pump...it may not be listed on the site but they're awesome to deal with over the phone... they sell ford parts 10%s above ford cost so you should be able to get it pretty cheap there

i appreciate the help guys but i still havent ordered one. there is so many options and i dont want to choose the wrong one. i dont want to spend $200 if i can keep from it. theres pumps on late model resto but from the part numbers they list and the digging i have done, those pumps are designed for a constant 12v. as i understand it, my car requires a pump that needs pulsed voltage ? then i read that pumps they have a higher Lph / higher output will cause issues, then i read they dont.

i dunno...