Fuel Tank Issue

jfrayzier

May 20, 2005
Took my car to get the replaced fuel tank in 2005 because it was clicking off the pump and spewing gasoline everywhere. Replaced, no questions asked.

Still doing it (don't fill up often, rarely drive it, 2 years old and 7200 miles). Took it back in this past Monday. Today, Friday, get a call that it will not be fixed and that the behavior is now considered normal on that vehicle.

See attached ticket.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure why it didn't attach. I tried attaching a jpg. If you want me to email it to you, let me know. It's good for a laugh.

I can't get it small enough to attach. Let me know and I'll email it.

I cropped the scan down, but it still shows the relevant information.

Attachments

• service-ticket-cropped.jpg
    service-ticket-cropped.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 198
So you already had TSB 05-4-8 performed in 05. NOW, you take it in and after 5 days and a 20 mile joy ride (check the in/out mileage on the order 7211 IN - 7231 OUT. Come on.. They didn't drive that far in my GT when it had cracked control arms.. pfffttt WTF?) they tell you this is "normal"....

I find it difficult to swallow that the federal government with their tight hiney emission controls + vehicle warranty would accept this as being a "normal characteristic" for any vehicle.

You have two ways of handling this based on this affecting you only or this affecting many consumers as well as the environment. 1. The grand pro-active butt kicking for the masses would be write Ford Corporate and send a copy of the work ticket, provide a copy complaint to the NHTSA

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

as well as the EPA. 2. The proverbial "Just Me" approach will be to contact the GM of the dealership and ask he/she HOW is a vehicle that is spewing fuel and vapor emissions due to a faulty vapor venting system inside their ill-designed saddle tank a "normal characteristic"? Let the GM know that you would be interested to see how the federal emission warranty and laws would read their interpretation of this "normal characteristic".

Either way, hold tight and your fuel tank should be fixed in time. This will not fly - NO WAY.. Not on my watch. LOL

Yell if you need help. I have an arsenal of big words and lofty intellectual threats at your disposal.

~J~

Edit Add: Right Now Ford has a similiar issue pending on the Ford Taurus (See Below)

Report Date : February 3, 2007 at 01:29 AM
SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE
YEAR : 2005
Make : FORD
Model : TAURUS

Results : 1 | All records displayed

NHTSA Action Number: NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
DP06005 N/A
Make: FORD Model: TAURUS
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Year : 2005
Component :
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE: DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:FUEL RAIL
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:INJECTORS
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:AUXILLARY TANK:SELECTOR DEVICES
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLER PIPE AND CAP
FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:MOUNTING
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER: DELIVERY
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER: DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER: DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:FUEL GAUGE SYSTEM
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:FILLING/CHARGING
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:MOUNTING
FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY:pRESSURE RELIEF DEVICES

Date Investigation Opened : December 4, 2006
Date Investigation Closed : Open

Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. I have a call into Ford Customer Care and am waiting to hear back from them. I have also spoken with the Service Manager at the dealership and also plan to speak with the General Manager as well.

We'll see how that goes, and then I will see who else I need to speak with.

I know I'm not the only one in this situation, too. That's the crappy part.

Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply. I have a call into Ford Customer Care and am waiting to hear back from them. I have also spoken with the Service Manager at the dealership and also plan to speak with the General Manager as well.

We'll see how that goes, and then I will see who else I need to speak with.

I know I'm not the only one in this situation, too. That's the crappy part.

i am in the same boat. had tank replace in may 05. still causes problems. VERY hard to fill right now. most i ever get into the tank before it causes a problem is $8. then i have to trickle it in there, turn on the key, check level, and repeat.

i just cant stand taking my car in for warranty work. something always goes wrong. i would rather they gave me that parts to swap, i do the work, and they keep the warranty money.

Sounds good "j" keep us posted. If it helps in the meantime I have found that if I rotate the gas nozzle upside down while filling up it works. This is not an appropriate resolution to the problem; however, since it is bypassing the federally required vapor shut off mechanisms on the tanks.

I have also noticed that if I drive with the idiot light on for about 15-20 miles then fill up it creates more vapors in the tank and is harder to fill. So, for now, I hit the station before the idiot light illuminates. This works 99% of the time.

I don't do that. Actually, to be honest, I've never even seen the "low fuel" light come on in the Mustang. When I went to fill it up the other day, it had about 1/2 tank in it. After about fifteen minutes, it was up to about 9-10/16 of a tank. That's where it is now, minus the 20 miles that they drove it while it was in the shop not being repaired or diagnosed.

Yes, I did speak with the shop foreman and was told that they didn't attempt to even duplicate or diagnose the problem.

Update

Ford Customer Care called me back yesterday evening. They said that unfortunately there is no known fix for the problem. I kindly explained to them that it is not my problem and certainly not my responsibility to fix it or live with it.

So, they have escalated the issue to their "Customer Solutions" team, I believe she said they were called. Hopefully I'll hear from them in the next day or so.

Most recently for me at bp station (even though Ford recommends BP with the little advert on the fuel cap). Prior to that it has happened for me at Citgo, Chevron, Exxon and Shell.

Also a couple of other no-name local types, too.

No rhyme or reason to it except that it is the Mustang.

Ford called me again today, they are passing my case to a third person now who is going to start the process all over again. Said I will get a call back on Thursday, which will be two weeks since I started the process.

My 07 GT does it occasionally.
My 05 Magnum doesn't do it.
My 96 Cobra never did it.
My 95 GT never did it.
My 66 Mustang never did it.
My 95 Explorer never did it.
My 92 Nissan 4X4 never did it.
My 99 Sebring Convertible never did it.
My 86 300ZX Turbo never did it.
My 72 & 76 Triumph Spitfires never did it.
My 86 Maxima never did it.
My 79 Datsun Pickup never did it.
My 78 280Z never did it.
My 78 Trans-Am never did it.
My 77 Capri never did it.
My 72, 69, 64 & 56 VW Beetles never did it.
`nuff said!