Suspension Gap between sway bar bushing and mounting bracket

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
So I was having trouble with the sway bar on my LX hitting the the oil pan. Someone suggested that when the PO switched out the bushings for poly they might have used the brackets that came with the poly bushings instead of the stock brackets. Low and behold, that was the problem so I found a set of brackets from a 4 cyl Fox at the junkyard.

I went to install the sway bar yesterday and once installed there is a gap between the top of the bushing and the bracket, about 1/4" - 3/8". Seems to me this would allow for the sway bar to move and there would be a noticeable clunk from the front end when driving.

Anyone have ideas about what I'm overlooking here? Are the bushings wrong (ie: they're not made to work with the stock brackets)?

Picture of the gap

0_0_e500eba8ac3d4977668d2afbf04cc12f_1

• Sponsors (?)

These must be the wrong bushings. there should be no gap at the top or at the point where the bushing goes around the bar. I had very good luck with PST - just measured the bar and called it in.

I was looking at it again this morning and this is kind of what I was thinking. I may just pick up a set of Moog sway bar bushings from the local auto store and see if they fit better.