gas gauge

• Sponsors (?)

Assuming it's due to a poorly placed needle, I would:

1)Get a gas can, fill it up, put it in the back seat.
2)Drive around til the car dies from running out of gas.
3)Remove gas needle and place on E.
4) Put extra gas in tank, drive to gas station, fill up.
5) Remember where the needle is when empty, and fill up before it gets there.

If it's something else, like your float being bent or something, that's a whole other story. :shrug:

Could be a needle problem like Sqarlic said above if you're car had white face gauges installed when you bought the car, then the needle could have been put back on wrong.

Also the float in the tank can get old and not read correctly anymore.

Another cause is something called a "slosh" sensor on th eback of th egauge cluster. It's there to kepp the needle fro jumping all around a syou go around curves and up and down hills. They have also been known to go bad and screw the reading of the gauge up.

The guage in my GT has never worked right in the 4 years I have owned it. It reads full until about a 1/4 tank then starts to work. My car set for about 2 years before I bought it so I suspect the float to be bad. One of these days I will drop the tank and replace it. What I have always done is just reset the trip odometer when i fill up and use that as a gauge. But with gas prices what they are now a fully functional gauge is getting more and more important.

I just replace my fuel sending unit last weekend. I think they work off of some type of resistor (same kind they use in the slot car track controllers), eventually these get worn and can no longer read, my float worked fine, but stayed full until a 1/4 tank and then dropped, didnt have much time to get to a gas station! I got a unit cheap off ebay, brand new ford factory part, works great now! I installed a 255 pump to make it worth my while.

Anthony