Gear Drives?

• Sponsors (?)

I don't plan on running over 5500 to 6000 tops ever. I'm building a street/strip/handling car, basically all around car. I have around 85,000 on my 87GT and figured it's time for a new timing set and I found a good deal on gear drives.

I had a gear drive years ago in my 340 Cuda. Sounded alot like a blower, but it doesn't quiet down above idle like a blower. It got rather annoying after a few weeks. Perhaps they've figured out a way to quiet them down with better technology.

First off, you don't want give, which is why people run gear drives. Seconded, the amount they heat up the oil is very little. My boss has one in his race-built 347, which he runs up to 7.5K/8K and he has NEVER had a problem with oil temp. Finally, they do make quite gears that don't make the whined noise. The only problem with gear drives is they are harder it install (some require proper lash settings and some mechine work).
-Shaun

O.K..I have a 92 5.0 with a noisy gear drive.....and it "whines" nice when the engine is cold......(which I like! It sounds badd asss!) But when it heats up the "whine" goes away quit a bit.....im confused...anyone else know why this happens thats running gears??? Also....my 92 has a very "chattery, clanky, almost want to take it out kinda sound on idle".....but with the same gear drive (PAW) my buddies 82 5.0 has no chatter...only whine....my engine sounds like crappp with this on at idle....but above that I love it....anyone else help.....I think there is a spacing difference in the gears between 79-86 and 87-93....also...if you want a gear drive-you will gring the inside of your timing gearhousing down....my 92 and buddies 82....no exceptions...same cover...

Pete Jackson gear drive..... Oh yeah!!! Noise is the name of the game, and they are for UNLIMITED PRM, and there is NO chain streach that will allow the cam to retard, I street drive mine all the time..... "hey, whats under the hood???" 460 on a blower!! :)

Down side is the noise, ( duh...), but there is all up side!! I have been on the gear since the mid 70s!! and IF they ever wear out... send them back and the rebuild or replacement is usually FREE!!! cant beat that for a " race item" huh???

Just me.........................

Thumper