Gear install kit question

When changing the gears, is it necessary to use an installation kit? On some sites I see that there are up to 3 different install kits; each with a couple 'extra' parts. Any idea which would be needed or how to determine?

I've got my gears and want to get them installed. I just don't want to make the trip to the installer just to find out I don't have what I need.

Also, I do not plan to go the speedcal route. I'm looking into an adaptive tune through T&J. Can the car be driven with the new gears installed on the stock computer program without problems or damage? I'm aware the mileage/speedo will be off...but anything else to look at? OR can I have my computer flashed for the new gears and tune PRIOR to gear install?

• Sponsors (?)

depending on mileage , you may want to get new carrier bearings. You will need 1 bottle of friction modifier and gear oil. There is a FRPP set of gears that comes with pinion nut, crush sleeve and shims. If purchased together or seperately , you will pay about $ 180.00 for the gears and necessary install kit. I would get a new pinion bearing as well. The carrier bearings are up to you and what the installer reccomends. the highest price install kit includes everything + axle bearings I think. Total for gears and install should be around $ 500.00. :D

Depends on what gear set you buy. Ford Racing comes with pinion shims, crush collar, and pinion nut. Also depends on how many miles you have on the car. So if low miles and you don't need carrier shims and bearings look good you could just get away with the Ford set and a cover gasket or RTV. But I would buy a Kit or make sure you have, Pinion Nut, Pinion Seal, Pinion bearings/race, Pinion shims, carrier shims, ring gear bolts, marking compound, Loctite, cover gasket, Friction additive, and gear oil. I am rebuilding my rear-end now and I only have 35000 miles on the car so if the carrier bearings look good I am leaving them on, they come in the kit too. You could also need axle bearings and seals but I am not replacing them do to low miles and inspection. I would recommend replacing the pinion bearings/race with any new gear set. Nation Drivetrain had the lowest price master set $79. I just bought it and have bought there kit before. They have everything except Friction additive and gear oil in the kit. www.nationaldrivetrain.com

forpit2000gt said:
http://www.nationaldrivetrain.com/

forgot to add this, glad someone else has used them. They are a great company and I have seen gears from them go into many 4x4 as well as 8 sec drag cars with no problem. The gears come with a sheet showing the proper backlash setting for the gear set you purchase. :nice:

Ok. My GT has 17300 miles on it right now, with the last 2000+ miles being kinda harsh (bought it used w/ 15K. Orig. owner was 40ish and she only drove it up to 70 mph when on the highway-personal friend, so I know the history). By harsh, I mean LOTS of burn outs and high RPM launches at times with 315/35 rear tires.

With that said, I found a place called Diversified Products Marketing (i think) that has the Ford Racing gears someone mentioned for $139 plus $16 to ship. Their web address is www.BuyFordRacing.com or www.BuyFordMotorsport.com. While I already have the gears, it's the install kit I'm trying to determine the need for. Anyone ever use this source? Thanks for the details, BTW! :nice:

gear recalibration ???'s

DarkHorse164 said:
I do not plan to go the speedcal route. I'm looking into an adaptive tune through T&J. Can the car be driven with the new gears installed on the stock computer program without problems or damage? I'm aware the mileage/speedo will be off...but anything else to look at? OR can I have my computer flashed for the new gears and tune PRIOR to gear install?

Can anyone help with this question?

forpit2000gt said:
depending on mileage , you may want to get new carrier bearings. You will need 1 bottle of friction modifier and gear oil. There is a FRPP set of gears that comes with pinion nut, crush sleeve and shims. If purchased together or seperately , you will pay about $ 180.00 for the gears and necessary install kit. I would get a new pinion bearing as well. The carrier bearings are up to you and what the installer reccomends. the highest price install kit includes everything + axle bearings I think. Total for gears and install should be around $ 500.00. :D

My carrier bearings were shot on my gt. My car has 36,000 miles on it just to give you an idea when i changed gears to 4.30's this month...
3.27-4.30 :eek:

Now see, my bearings were all peachy at that mileage. It was when trying to get them off that we broke them and pieces went flying everywhere! :D Glad I had them for that reason alone!

there is a tool t oremove the bearings without messing them up.
If you are going to drive it like you have lately, do what I did. I installed a new carier with 31 spline and Strange 31 spline axles. Install the gears with new carrier bearings and don't worry about your rearend. :nice:

I ordered the cheaper kit and then ordered the Pinion bearings and braces.
Didn't have to be changed but I figured what the hell.
It's a good thing I did though, 'cause I couldn't remove the pinion bearing from the old pinion, so I had to chizzle it off.
The reason for that was to check the size of the spacer on the original pinion.

I purchased the kit when I did my install. Didn't need it so sent it back. I used FRPP gears and they went in fine with the original shims. You will need a dial indicator to check backlash and grease to check tooth alignment. I might have been lucky. Also do proper breakin of new gears. They have been in for a year with no noise or whine.