Gear question

• Sponsors (?)

Why is everybody so shy to talk about $ ? The gears don't cost much, but I have no clue how much it will cost to put them in. $100, $400, $800 :shrug: Help me out fellas. I know a lot of you have had this done. PM me if you don't want to talk $ publicly. :D

It takes a good mechanic approx 3-4 hours - so multiply that by the shop's labor rate which will vary across the county. In California, figure $70 to $100 per hour. My 2002 GT gear swap (to 3.73s) cost me $175 on a "special" advertised deal but my recent 2005 GT gear swap (to 4.10s) was closer to $275. I don't have the skills nor the tools and what's the fun of having to blame yourself if the new gears whine? I made sure the guy doing the work had done several '05 models before mine and I supplied the Ford-built ring & pinion set (made sure the part number has an "A" at the end of it, not a "M" for Motive-built). It went well and I'm very pleased with the work and the result. Along with the MGW Shifter, the new gear set greatly improved my driving experience. So good luck with your project!

I just had mine done a month ago at JPC Racing in Maryland. I am looking at my invoice. $425 to do the install.
That was for 5 hours of labor. Changed out the gears and a master berring set.
I am sure you can find it cheaper. This shop is a mustang specialty shop and the best around. :)

Excessive Motorsports in Manassas, VA. They are a sponsor of the Nothern VA Mustang Club, so I figured they have to be fairly reputable. They charged $325 in labor. The job took just under 1 hour from the time she went up on the lift to the time she was set back down. 8500 miles later and not even the slightest peep from back there:D