Gears For An Auto?

JOEGTS

Jul 23, 2005
Port Saint Lucie, FL
I want to have the gears changed in my 08 but am unsure of what ratio to go with. The car is a garage queen and I am not coscerned with mileage (even with todays fuel prices). I have read numerous threads and am undecided between 3.73's or 4.10's. The car just driven to events, sunny weekend days, and will see the track maybe twice a year. I am leaning towards going with 4.10's but I have read that the autos don't perform with them as well as they do with the 3.73's. The car is all stock except for an 08 Bullitt intake and a Bama tune. I am not one to fear the gear. My last car an 03 Mach1 had 4.30's and were perfect for that car and mods. This will be the final mod for this car for many years. I would appreciate any input.

• Sponsors (?)

You can't go wrong with either ratio for an auto. Blue Oval Industries have a great sell on both sets and their price includes a basic install kit as well. These sets are FRPP sets not Motive. I got my 3.73's in last week for $171.86 shipped but haven't had them installed yet. The 4.10 kit is a few dollars cheaper. A friend of mine who also a mechanic for the local Ford dealer is going to do the install on his own time soon for a discount price of course. My car is also a garage queen. Only a sunny weekend driver so gas mileage wasn't a concern for me either. I have read numerous post stating that MPG may improve with lower gears slightly because the car is not lugging as much in the city with the lower gears. Remember our autos have a lower 1st and 2nd gear than the 5 speed so I believe the 3.73 was the better choice FOR ME because I may go with a blower at a later time. You may like the 4.10 if you are not going to do any more mods for a long time. I also have Dougs 93 race tune/CAI from Bama and violator mufflers and I can't wait to drop the hammer with the new gears. Traction on the street is hairy now and I am sure the 3.73 will make it.....worse but better at the same time if you get what I mean. Just keep the car straight. Bad for the tires but good for the ego:rock:. I hope I helped a little.

If I raced mine alot and wasn't planning on going with a blower when funds permit I would have prob went with the 4.10's. Pricewise there isn't alot of difference even if you don't get them on sale. 3.90's would be good but FRPP don't make them. Pro 5.0 makes them but I have heard mixed reviews about them. Could have been crappy installs. Make sure you get a qualified person to install them. Sounding like a WWII air raid siren going down the road would suck. The next mod might be some Nitto drag radials.

I think 3.73's are the best gear for the auto, the 4.10's just don't work as well. Talk to Doug, since you have his tune, he will tell you the same thing. I think he had 4.10's and took them out and replaced them with 3.73's.

Earl

I talked to Doug directly about a year to year and a half ago before I got his tune and XCAL2 and he did make a comment that 12's would be pretty easy with the stock 3.31's if I really didn't want to spend the $$$ on lower gears. His auto GT test car had the stock gears at the time and with his tune/CAI, sticky tires and if I remember right maybe a torque convertor he was already in the mid 12's consistantly at his home track. If I want more ooomph I will continue to turn my O/D off while low speed driving. I really just wanted the 3.73's because I wanted to buy another mod and I am not interested in overdrive pullies, convertor or an aluminum driveshaft at this time. Maybe a driveshaft later this winter. 12's with street tires is all i'm interested in anyway.

I have 3.73's installed in my car now and I think they're a nice compliment, it helps it dig better off the line and where I think it counts in the mid range it scoots along quite nicely. Could it use more gear? Yep, but it's enough for me and my driving in traffic and around town. Only see the track 3-4 times a year at best.

it don't matter what gears you put in...3.73, 4.10, 4.30...she's a garage queen, remember! the thread should be "what kind of high heels would look good on my garage queen". i just don't get it...:shrug::scratch:

it don't matter what gears you put in...3.73, 4.10, 4.30...she's a garage queen, remember! the thread should be "what kind of high heels would look good on my garage queen". i just don't get it...:shrug::scratch:
I have several other vehicles besides the two shown and limited time on the weekend to spend between them not counting other hobbies and important things like spending time with family and friends. Not that anyone else gives a crap but I just threw that out there FYI. I usually don't have hours to detail any of the cars before shows and it takes hours to do it right. Keeping the cars out of rain and snow and stored in the garage helps me out alot time wise. I think Joe wants advice about gears for his car and not an uniformed opinion about his car storage habits or the fact he is might be fortunate enough to be able to keep his car up better by driving something else on crappy days or he might just like to only drive it on special occasions. Nuttin' strang about that. I am sure Joe will now sell the beater car and start 4 wheeling the GT or driving in a monsoon to fit in more about like I will. I am sure you don't get it but I do and thanks for sharing your opinion. I prefer combat boots instead of heels. They keep the ankle more stable while kicking ass:chair:.

look I have 4:10s in my auto with a great tune from Brenspeed and OMG there great. remember we have the 5 speed AUTO tranny and the OD helps alot... 4:10s are buy far the best you can get out there for your car auto or 5 speed.. DONT FEAR THE GEAR ! IF you love the feeling you get when you sink in to the seat of your car at WOT , times that by about 5 hahahaha 4:10s always leave me with a smile when I gun it ! Trust me you wont be disapointed ... and since shes not a daily driver WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO FEAR ! What ever you decided on.. good luck and enjoy it !!

Now back to the original topic....Hey Joe what heels....um...I mean gears have you decided on installing in your pampered steed?

your right! back to the topic...4.10's are made for our cars..if your going to do it, do it right the first time.

Oh yeah! since you like boots...tell your lady to take it out of you, give your kahuna's back, so you can drive the mustang, since your the one paying for it!:rlaugh:

just my opinion again...you know us californian's, we're strange, we like to show up with our cars, not tell people what we have in the "garage".
:dead:

Good luck joe...4.10's

Already paid for it. I had a job of somekind since I was 13 and I would rather invest and save instead of waste my money so when the time comes to spend a little I can. Being lucky helps too. I am not rich by any means I just try to make more than I spend. If I was rich Jay Leno would be wanting to visit my garage instead of me wanting to visit his. He is a down to earth guy who lives in Cali. Take some notes on how he carries himself. I know without a doubt i'm not as rich or as smart as any of the local from Cali I am sure. I would never have mentioned it until you started throwing your useless comments around. I will probably be driving my GT later today if you are wondering. Supposed to a beautiful afternoon. I will be "Showing up" like they do in Cali. I just won't have to spend a few hours detailing it before I "Show Up". I might get the Chevelle out later too according to what time we we get back from lunch. Hell I might 'show up" twice today. I have a local cruise next weekend and since the GSX is already spotless because I haven't driven it in a few days I will be "showing up" with it. Atleast I don't "trailer"it to where I am going. Trailers piss me off about as much as "garages" piss you off. Besides if you don't want a rebuttal from someone don't make asinine comments toward someone who obviously wasn't asking for your two bits. Jusy do what Whyask, ShooterM1, and Steedman did, give Joe advice on gears and not comments on his miles per year. Some people like to take care of what they have especially when the buy it themselves. I drive my truck to work because I want too. I drive my cars on sunny days because I want too. I try to give an opinion on mods to a fellow stang owner because he asked I wanted to help if I could. Do with your stuff what you like. Sounds like your day in Hollywood must have not been as peachy as you wanted and ya wanted to make yourself feel better by trying to piss in someone elses cornflakes. :nono: Save that crap for the ricer guys. Cali seem to have the market cornered on gawdy imports owners so go find some of them and spout your comments. But beware it might be different slinging mud to someone face to face than on a forum.

I would love to drive it everyday but as a father of two young sons I would rather drive my truck. I've owned 6 Mustangs and only my first one (86 GT) was a daily driver. As long as I can afford to I will allways have a Stang in the garage under a cover waiting to be taken out on a sunny drive.:D

Hope the install goes smoothly. Let us humble stang owner who aren't jealous or critical of other enthusiast like yourself who pampers your car know how you like the new gears. I am sure someone from the ROC who is starved for some attention will find something to disagree with but don't let that stop you from filling us in. BYW...todays Sunday drive was very pleasant. I did not meet one "garage queen" hater or one "anti-fair weather owner". Must be a West Coast thing or is it Karma??? Maybe Sharon Stone knows.

Keeping the cars out of rain and snow and stored in the garage helps me out alot time wise.

I'm w/ you; I got two black cars that I don't drive in the rain. Not because I don't want to get 'em wet but just because I hate washing cars and they look like s**t dirty.

It's a laziness thing with me.

That said, I'm gonna toss in some 3.73's on our 2008 5-speed and call it a day, mod-wise. I figure that'll get me to a spot where, in addition to the C & L and Brenspeed tune, I'll be close enough to my wifes 12.7 Vette to make the races more interesting and occasionally give me a chance.

I told myself when I got this car a month ago that I just wanted a 12 second car that was fun to drive and not have to toss a lot of $$ at. Tractions likely gonna be enough of a problem w/ 3.73's and I don't want to have to start getting into suspension stuff that 4.10's might require to get the most out of them.