Gears...

OK i had my gears installed on Thursday of last week (3.73's). The guy who did it told me that i probably should not drive hard on them (burnouts racing etc.) for the first 500 miles to break them in. the first 200 being essential. I have put about 190 miles on them now. I am hoping to get that to about 250-275 miles by wed so i can race that night. Should i wait to get to the 500 mark or is it ok to race with about 250 miles on them.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

When I had mine installed a few years ago, I was told the same thing... wait 500 miles. I waited, just to be on the safe side. But I have heard both sides and have not heard anything that completely convinced me oneway or the other... :shrug:

I've always put a few heat cycles in em before beating on em.

That way has served me well for over 20 yrs of time.

As for the amount of miles I drive during the break in period......I'd say no more than 25 to 50 miles at the most. IMHO, I think the heat cycles are more important than the amount of miles.

Later
Grady

Follow your installers advice...it will eliminate one variable (proper break-in) if something comes up later on. You won't be "stuck" wondering...

Breaking them in is always a good idea...just like after installing a clutch.

It is potentially damaging to the owner's wallet to just tell them to go "beat on it"...

I think after a couple hundred miles (as in your case) and you notice any problems...your good to go...