Getting an '08 Looking for MUST-HAVES

supersleeper

Jan 16, 2008
Hi All,

This is my first post here, and am new to the forum, but not to the Mustang community. I used to own a '95.

My wife and I will be picking out options for a new '08 GT Convertible soon. It will be a custom paint similar to candy apple, but not quite. My question is, since I'm not familiar with all the options, what some of you recommend as a "Must-Have" in options, i.e. 18" polished wheels, NAV, etc.? Also, I'd be interested in hearing what are things to avoid, and what things may be better as after market options. We are considering getting a cloth top, navigation, Sync for her iPod, not set on stick or auto yet, and beige leather interior.

I tried to build my mustang using the Fordvehicles.com page, but it is less than useful in determining how the car will look or feel.

All input appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I consider the premier package a must have, leather wrapped dashboad "lip" plus leather wrapped armrests. Other than that, I kinda call it personal preference.
Dan

I consider the premier package a must have, leather wrapped dashboad "lip" plus leather wrapped armrests. Other than that, I kinda call it personal preference.
Dan

Yeah, the one I test drove had that package, and I liked it quite a bit. We want to go with the duo-tone black/chamois interior colors too. I like the looks of the front-end of the Shelby, but I don't know if you can get that front end without paying for a Shelby. If I can get the wife to fork out for the Shelby, I certainly would :D .

welcome! i dont feel there are any must haves. its all personal preference. if you plan to change the wheels ever, get the 17" basic wheels. check out some aftermarket sites and see what you like better than the ford offerings. if you are going to replace something, see if you can delete that option from your order list.

also, one more small detail. sig image sizes are limited to 650x125. yours is a little too tall. no problem, though. just a quick resize or crop will fix that. :nice:

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I noticed the sig is too big. Trying to use the forum tools, but I can't seem to resize it. I may try some HTML or just drop the graphic size down manually.

I don't think the Sync system is available on the Mustang. Yet anyway. The Shelby front end to which you were referring comes on the GT/CS (California Special). If you are looking to get the blakc and beige (chamois) interior, you are required to get the Interior Upgrade Package (referred to as IUP) and the Premier Trim w/ Color Package. Those were two big must-haves for me. Otherwise, to get the Black and Parchment, you need to get the GT/CS option. I have the HID headlamps on my car, and after driving a non-HID mustang as a rental car, I feel they make a big difference in nighttime visibility.

+1 on the wheels. I am very happy with the 18's that came on my car, so I didn't worry about that. Same thing goes with the rear end. If you ever plan on putting in 3.73s or 4.10s or higher, don't bother with the 3.55 option. The only thing I would recommend you think hard about is the Ambient Lighting feature. I don't have it in mine, but many people think it looks a little too much like an import-tuner car. Since the cupholder lights up as well, I've heard that can be quite distracting.

Yeah, I was thinking about the CS as a compromise to the Shelby :).

I know the difference between the HID and standard as well. My current daily driver is an '03 BMW 330CIC with HIDs. When I drive my wife's car at night, I feel blind in comparison.

I don't believe the C/S can get the premier option, but I could be wrong on that. It's really an at-all-costs must have to me, just really upgrades the "feel" of the interior to me.
Dan

Thoughts on the "Shaker 1000 Audio System"? Likely I will swap out the head unit for a Pioneer AVIC D3 or similar unit, but is the "Shaker 1000 Audio System" option worth it for the speakers only? Since it is a 10 speaker system I'm not up to replacing them all after market. I can easily ebay the head unit to make up for some of the package costs. Since the Pioneer NAV unit is only about $700 on Amazon.com, it is a no-brainer compared to the stock Ford NAV.

You have to get the IUP.. otherwise, you get the plain, black plastic dash, the rubber steering wheel, and the the black vents. You also get the base gauge cluster which doesn't have mycolor, as well as having a few less gauges.

As for anything else:
  • Leather- easier to clean and looks cooler
  • Heated seats- expensive, but they feel so good.
  • Spoiler delete- yes, personal taste..
  • Screw the NAV for $2k. Install the pioneer AVIC-D3 for half the price with twice the features. I posted a how-to thread a month or so ago. (ALL MUSTANGS INCLUDE AN AUDIO JACK FOR YOUR IPOD- STANDARD).
  • I don't know about the cloth top. My '04 had one (YES- it was a 40th EDITION, and YES the top was CLOTH), and it was hard to clean bird droppings off. I've never had a vinyl top, so I can't compare.
  • Go for the 18" polished rims- they are gorgeous.
  • Ambient lighting is a bit overpriced..
  • Wheel locks are worth the price
  • Go for the Ford alarm (active anti-theft). If you go aftermarket, and you use your aftermarket alarm to unlock your doors at night, the headlights will not go on while you walk to your car. I know this seems minor, but it's a major PITA to carry two remotes just to have headlights go on.
  • Don't get sirius- it leaves 2 nasty holes on your trunklid, as well as a fugly antenna.

I think that is it..

If you do order the interior upgrade package (IUP), there are different choices for the dash panel:
Charcoal aluminum
32.jpg

Or, satin:
12.jpg

Everything else is personal choice:
  • Automatic or Manual?
  • Which color?
  • Hood Scoop?
  • GT or GT/CS?
  • Stripes from the factory?

Have fun! :nice:

IUP definnatly. I aven't talked to the wife yet about Shelby or CS. Since this will be her car, and we are getting a 30K credit from her company, what's another 17K right? My fear is that she will think the Shelby is to aggressive in appearance. I may need to start a new thread, and get some excuses from the forum on why Shelby ;)?

As a former pro-audio installer (sho quality systems) I will definitely tackle the head unit install myself. As for the speakers, I'm very leary to go ripping appart her car. I don't believe my wife will be keen on it either. Too many speakers, and combinations, not to mention the risk of cracking pannels and losing and breaking clips, etc.