Girlfriends 88 Nissan is acting up.....suggestions?

Prime Lord

Crappy Default Title
Founding Member
Sep 19, 2000
Denver-ish
So my girlfriend has an 88 Nissan Stanza (precursor to the Altima). Its got the CA20E EFI engine and has been running like a champ till recently. What's happening is that every once in a while the fuel pump will not come on with the ignition. You know normally, you turn the ignition to "ON" and you can hear the hum of the fuel pump priming before you actually crank it over. Well sometimes it just won't kick on and then of course the engine won't start. It seems to have fits where sometimes the fuel pump will just cut out while you are driving. If it does that, then it usually takes 5 or 6 flicks of the key (OFF to ON and back) for the pump to fire back up.

Now, I realize it could be the pump itself....but if that was the case, wouldn't it just die and never work rather than working 90% of the time and just dieing inexplicably? I've looked through the haynes manual for the car and based on the schematic of the system the fuel pump has power and takes signal from the ignition switch....that's it. There are no relays (that I can find) or any inertia switches that most EFI cars have. I found this after a google search. but it is filled with lies. The only relay box under the hood is on the other side opposite the battery and it does not have a fuel pump relay in it. That being said, if there is no fuel pump relay in the system, then I suppose it is possible that the relay is integral to the pump....in which case, the pump would have to be replaced anyway.

I guess I'm just looking for other options before I go through the hell of dropping the tank and replacing the pump. Unfortunately, this year does not have an OBD port even though it has an ECU. ::sigh::

Anything you guys can suggest would be awesome. Thx.

• Sponsors (?)

Relays, bad fuses, bad wiring, bad connections, bad grounds....you have entered a world of electrical gremlins, I fear. Additionally, a vehicle of that age is also going to experience issues with corrosion as well.

Your best bet is going to be trying simple things first, one at a time, to rule out the silly stuff. Move up from there. Sorry I do not have better advice, but electrical stuff is a bugger to troubleshoot, as you know / are about to find out.

Good luck!