Electrical Glowing alternator wires

jstang209

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
Stockton 209
I didn’t get a pic with them super hot but can anyone advise on what I have going on here?

Attachments

• D028ED72-10A4-4DD5-A70E-AF274FF1C787.jpeg
    D028ED72-10A4-4DD5-A70E-AF274FF1C787.jpeg
    801.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 31F92039-662D-4195-9E10-D6CCC8FE580E.jpeg
    31F92039-662D-4195-9E10-D6CCC8FE580E.jpeg
    730 KB · Views: 78
  • 23DB4126-F8DC-4121-8AF8-567C6218F0E4.jpeg
    23DB4126-F8DC-4121-8AF8-567C6218F0E4.jpeg
    929.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Sponsors (?)

High amperage going through the wires, or a high resistance connection.

With the 130A alt, the #10 wires should not be used at all. Cut them back and tape into the harness. The #4 wire should all that is connected to the power lug and connected to the distribution block inside the fender (i assume).

As to why it's getting hot? You either have a TON of amps going through that wire and terminal, or the connection itself is really poor/loose. I've seen crimped style connectors like that done so poorly they barely squeeze the wire and/or make minimal contact with the copper or even corrode internally. Loose/poor connection causes high resistance and creates heat.

Do you have a fuse on the alt wire? If so, what size? #4 wire, depending on lenght of run, ambient temp, and if 90*C or 60*C wire is used, is really only rated around 100amps. I often see folks assume 130A alt means fuse at 130A, and that may be entirely too big for the wire size.

My guess would be that the connection on the back of the alternator was not tight. The arcing going on there to eat away at the stud pretty much indicates that and this will produce a lot of heat. I would suggest you take a look a this thread and start from scratch.

Reactions: 1 users
High amperage going through the wires, or a high resistance connection.

With the 130A alt, the #10 wires should not be used at all. Cut them back and tape into the harness. The #4 wire should all that is connected to the power lug and connected to the distribution block inside the fender (i assume).

As to why it's getting hot? You either have a TON of amps going through that wire and terminal, or the connection itself is really poor/loose. I've seen crimped style connectors like that done so poorly they barely squeeze the wire and/or make minimal contact with the copper or even corrode internally. Loose/poor connection causes high resistance and creates heat.

Do you have a fuse on the alt wire? If so, what size? #4 wire, depending on lenght of run, ambient temp, and if 90*C or 60*C wire is used, is really only rated around 100amps. I often see folks assume 130A alt means fuse at 130A, and that may be entirely too big for the wire size.
When you say the #10 wires are you referring to the blue and yellow ring terminals? Those are def not 10g maybe 18. The red one goes directly to the starter solenoid with a 200amp in line fuse. Are you saying I only need the red one connected to the alternator? Those other two I can tape into the harness?

Yes, the Orange w/black stripe wires. Do not hook those up. They are not sized appropriately to handle the increased potential load when going from 75a to a 130A alt. It's entirely possible that it is these 2 wires that are heating up from load. One of them is also broken, which isn't helping the situation.

They must remain hooked up at the starter solenoid however, as the voltage regulator is powered off one of them halfway between the alt and the starter solenoid connection.

200A fuse is too big for #4 wire. You can probably get away with a 120/125A fuse on #4

Reactions: 1 user
That's the exact same fuse I run on my 130A alt setup with 4G wire. Bought a spare and keep it in the glovebox.

I've actually measured current draw on my car. Stockish setup electrically with a contour dual fan. Lights on, heat on, wipers, hazards, reverse lights, etc and fan on full....85-90amps.

Realistically, most folks arent going to drive around with EVERY single electrical accessory on.

Also, I definitely see corrosion on some of those wires/terminals. That'll increase resistance..... certainly not good for any connection. Either clean them up good, or it may be necessary to trim the wire(s) back a bit and put on new terminal(s). That may a good idea to do anyway.

I’d just start over so you know it’s 100%. Wire is cheap but a fire isn’t.

Make sure your grounds are good and that you have a 4 ga from the block to the frame and frame to the battery.

Reactions: 3 users
When you say the #10 wires are you referring to the blue and yellow ring terminals? Those are def not 10g maybe 18. The red one goes directly to the starter solenoid with a 200amp in line fuse. Are you saying I only need the red one connected to the alternator? Those other two I can tape into the harness?
The two you cut are 10g black with orange stripe.