Glowing Manifold...what do you think?

Jacob07

Apr 5, 2005
Missouri
This is the second time its happened and the first was back in spring. I pulled over at night and my manifold was glowing orange - engine was ticking badly. Temp guage was only about an 1/8th of the way up. I let it sit for a few minutes and drove home without too much trouble. Someone suggested I might have a crack in the manifold. What are the possibilities?

Secondly my transmission is really screwed up. (automatic)

Last night when it was glowing the transmission was also stuck at either 1,500 - 3,000 - or 4,500RPMS. I couldn't easily get it anywhere in between. After finding my manifold glowing I tried to drive home slower but the engine would not hold speed anywhere under 3k. So essentially the engine was the same at 35mph or 65mph.

Anything reasonably cheap that could be wrong? I can drive around town fine, its just the long highway drives that cause problems.

• Sponsors (?)

i have heard that when the mixture is too rich they can glow red. i crack in the manifold can do that but you would hear it if there is a crack i would think. i would definately check the air/fuel.check your fluid int he tranny. heat is the number 1 killer of transmissions

Accually when it is too lean the manifold glows, if the cats are glowing it is too rich. Sounds like you and I might have the same issues with the trans not working correctly I suspect yours might be aa vacuum leak as well. I know mine is, it's just a matter of if I toasted the trans while testing my therory.

Odd as it is if its rich or lean it will glow..i have been playing with my SDS and had to lean it out some becouse my header would glow at idle..once i leaned it out a bit its nice normal....i had always thought that only a lean run would do it.....start by checking your fuel pressure and then move onto the intake for anyleaks...i dont know about cracks in the manifild causing it..........Hal

I would have to agree with stinger and HAL...

I had the same deal on a TC once,along with some other things,no stedy idle,surging, running WAAAAAY rich, I swapped out the ECT,TPS,IAC and baro
all that help some, but still glowed, I ended swapping out ECU,just cuse I had a spare...and it all was good

I would say mine was a rare deal tho.......