Going for a fox body tranny swap

BlueBomber

Jun 19, 2006
Ok guys i have a 95 5.0L automatic right now. it's been a while since i've been wanting to do a t-5 swap but can't find the 94-95 complete tranny setup. I've now found a 87-93 setup for very cheap and i hear it works with a little work on the driveshaft. The setup is complete with ECU, pedals and all. It's only missing the clutch and flywheel. What i'm wondering is...

Does the 92 ECU for a 5.0L Manual work with my engine?
Will the fox pedals be any good for me?
What should i do for clutch and flywheel? Get an original or go for aftermarket?
He's offering me the short shifter for 100$ Is it worth it?
Is anything else needed?

The car is a 95 supercharged 5.0L. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You will have some issues with this.

The SN95's had a slightly different computer and wire harness
so i dont think a Fox ECU will plug into it.

Also the SN95's use an electric speed sensor if I remember right
and the Fox's have a mechanical pick-up for the speed-o

I'm sure there is a way to do what you want, just not sure
how to get past those problems for you.

Hmm well i'm hoping the tranny will be ok. Right now i'm still on the original V6 tranny and so far so good. It just doesn't know how to shift the 5.0 after supercharging.
Can anyone else confirm about that speed sensor? That could be a problem. If the ECU i get with it doesn't fit then in the worst case i could probably just pick up a 94 ECU. I wonder if the speed sensor has anything to do with the ECU.
Anyone done this swap before??

I think you would have the same problems with a 94 ECU as well. You need an A9L computer from a fox body to work with the manual transmission. I think the speed sensor is going to cause your some problems. The electronic speed sensor is monitored with the computer, so i think you might have to find another solution. I also second the thought that putting a used t-5 behind a supercharged 5 liter isnt the best idea.

the A9L computer is the one that is coming with it that may not work because of things like the sensors and fans right? I figure with a 94 computer nothing will be changing except the transmission being a 5 speed. The motor and all sensors are programmed in that ECU.
But i do need to know my speed! I have to find out what the difference is with the speed sensors in the different years. And does it have anything to do with the transmission? I thought the actual transmission part was the same just some size differences.
As for the used transmission part i don't really see any other way since i'm doing a swap. If i wanted it new i'd need to buy a complete tranny with all the swap parts and then buy a brand new t-5. All that is not in the budget. The best would be a sn95 donor car but even that wouldn't be new.

Aside from the speed sensor and all that, with a 5 speed out of a Fox bolt up and work/fit right in a '94? My buddy is actually looking to do this right now and just needs it to drive as his trany is dead.

I'm still think i'm going for it so i'll let you know. Apparently i can just swap the speed sensor from my existing tranny to the fox one. Somone on this forum who has done the swap advised me of that. And I have found a sn95 ecu.