going turbo instead

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
well i guess you all figured out by now that i didn't buy the kenne bell. it just didn't feel right keeping something that expensive from the wife. i guess i have a conscience after all.

i would like to make a public apology to stangfreek for getting cold feet at the last minute on the kenne bell deal.

now my plan is to go with a single turbo, but i am working on finding someone to fab the hot side for me. the goal is about 350-400 rwhp with full boost by about 3000 rpms. i'm planning (hoping?) to keep the total under $1500. *edit* since it is a daily driver, i also need to keep the power steering and air conditioning.

here's the turbo ... it is a garrett t-4 h-trim with a p-trim turbine, 62mm on the compressor side, 66 mm on the turbine side. i got it for a good price from a guy on turbomustangs.com. the turbine a/r is 1.30 tho, so i am bidding on a smaller one i found on ebay.

more later when i know it ... :cheers:
DSCF0779.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0779.JPG
    DSCF0779.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Sponsors (?)

I about crapped my pants when you said your exhaust side was a 1.30. I was just like, good luck with that on any 302 combo. But then I read you were looking for a smaller one.
You shouldn't have a problem with making the kit with intercooler for $1500 but you should hit a hair over $1500 when you figure in bov, wastegate, EBC, etc

Jeremy

I would love a turbo but how in the world do you do it for 1500...everything I see out there is like 3 grand jsut for parts...not to mention all the fuel upgrades you need and the fact that I would never install something like that myself??????

VibrantRedGT said:
Um..did you buy that from Stangfreak on TM.com?
no, i was looking at his, but it was for a sn95 with no a/c pr p/s, and i need to keep mine as it is a daily driver. someone else bought it off him.
302fordracer said:
I would love a turbo but how in the world do you do it for 1500...everything I see out there is like 3 grand just for parts...not to mention all the fuel upgrades you need and the fact that I would never install something like that myself??????
buy a turbo, wastegate, bov, boost controller, and injectors off ebay; get the hot side fabbed by one of the many people who can do it; no intercooler; and build the cold side out of pvc (pretty ghetto i know, but it will be ok for the 6 psi max i'll be running); i'm thinking i can install it myself. i may need to take it to the muffler shop to get the downpipe connected.

i can sell my current bbk shorty headers and the current 1.30 turbine housing to recoup some of the money. and i can take my time and spread the purchases out to lessen the impact on the monthly budget.

i already have 42# injectors, a 80mm maf and a tweecer. i'm not sure, but i may need a better fuel pump. i'll be driving very gently and taking lots of logs in the beginning until i get the tune safe. the worst thing you can do is not give a boosted engine enough fuel.

i'll probably run over $1500, but it should stay under $2000. i have a spreadsheet where i'm tracking the numbers. when it is all said and done, i'll post the total cost.
215what said:
how hard is it to get done I whould like to do that some day i wanna bov on srt,evo,sti's
pretty hard (and time consuming) if you decide to fab the piping yourself. you'd need to know how to weld and have a welder. for a simple single setup like mine, it is basically headers, crosspipe, downpipe, turbo, wastegate, bov and pvc pipe. of course, there's more to it than that, but you get the gist.

when 6psi is not enough for me, i'll need to get an intercooler and replace the pvc with metal.
DARK-5.0 said:
I about crapped my pants when you said your exhaust side was a 1.30. I was just like, good luck with that on any 302 combo. But then I read you were looking for a smaller one.
You shouldn't have a problem with making the kit with intercooler for $1500 but you should hit a hair over $1500 when you figure in bov, wastegate, EBC, etc

Jeremy
yeah ... i found a turbine housing with an a/r of .69 on ebay; won it last night. it should be just right. getting the hot made is the most expensive part. *edit* the .69 was too small. i backed out of that deal. i found a .84 instead :nice:

i just won a .84 turbine housing on ebay for $40! it should spool up by about 3000 rpms and i can hope for 400 rwhp at 14# boost. :D

so i have the turbo for $330, but i can sell the 1.30 housing and get some back.

:spot: :banana:

If you're going to get the hot side done by someone else, why don't you get some from brian at B&G?? Those headers are sweet and way cheaper than most hot side on the market. I think he'll sell them right now for $550, this is complete ready for the turbo to be bolted on. I was going to get some of these, but now I am leaning towards making my own hot side with the stock headers. I ran into some clearence problems that I am trying to work out, but it will work. With that new a/r, that thing is going to spool real quick. Hopefully it won't be too small.

good luck!

rio95 said:
If you're going to get the hot side done by someone else, why don't you get some from brian at B&G?? Those headers are sweet and way cheaper than most hot side on the market. I think he'll sell them right now for $550, this is complete ready for the turbo to be bolted on. I was going to get some of these, but now I am leaning towards making my own hot side with the stock headers. I ran into some clearence problems that I am trying to work out, but it will work. With that new a/r, that thing is going to spool real quick. Hopefully it won't be too small.

good luck!
his is one of the options i am investigating. the $550 is only if he can get enough orders for a group purchase, and it does not include the downpipe. that is another $350. getting headers, crossover and downpipe for less than $1000 is the key to staying within my budget of $1500. if i had a tig welder, another car, and time to spend fabbing my own, then i would consider making my own as well. maybe after the kids are grown up ...

i have a couple of other options i am investigating also.

i think anything under .81 will be too small. i think the .84 is a great compromise for my goals.

Wait, did you buy the 0.69 or 0.84?? If you bought the 0.84, it should work out great.

You deff. have a good start already having 42's, maf, and a tweecer. Those are the main reasons I don't think I can afford everything until winter. I thought about running an FMU until winter with the stock maf, but then you still need wideband or a dyno.

It is deff. nice to have another car when working on a mustang. I have a second car, so I think I am going to fab my own hot side set-up for around $150. When do you need the hot side by?? Because I have a longblock out of a car right now to work on, so I might start fabbing this weekend. Depending on how it works out, I could probably make two and sell you one of them. Although, I don't have a turbo to do the mounting mock up yet. I'm going to use the stock shorties and merge them into a flowmaster Y. Probably using two v-bands also.

Oh, and by the way. You BETTER make more than 400rwhp with 14 psi of boost. Especially with better heads and intake....

There's a guy over at TM.com that made 530 rwhp and 6xx ft/lb on 15-16 psi with 110 octane.

Also, around 470rwhp at 12psi with 93 octane.

rio95 said:
Wait, did you buy the 0.69 or 0.84?? If you bought the 0.84, it should work out great.
i got the .84 for $40. :nice:
rio95 said:
You deff. have a good start already having 42's, maf, and a tweecer. Those are the main reasons I don't think I can afford everything until winter. I thought about running an FMU until winter with the stock maf, but then you still need wideband or a dyno.
I don't trust FMUs.
rio95 said:
When do you need the hot side by?? Because I have a longblock out of a car right now to work on, so I might start fabbing this weekend. Depending on how it works out, I could probably make two and sell you one of them. Although, I don't have a turbo to do the mounting mock up yet. I'm going to use the stock shorties and merge them into a flowmaster Y. Probably using two v-bands also.
that'd be great. i can send you my .84 turbine housing (after i get it), which is all you really need for the hot side. since i am excited about it, i'd like to move on it, but i don't have a deadline or anything. my main constraint is that i need to keep my PS and AC ('cause it is my DD). i have heard that the driver's side is a challenge because of clearance issues, so you won't be able to just flip the header. but i would be 100% fine with flipping the passenger side header, if that would work. then you'd only have one header to fab. i don't need the best (ie-most efficient) setup ever, since my hp goals are so low, and it doesn't have to be the most beautiful setup ever, but i do need it to be reliable.

rio95 said:
Oh, and by the way. You BETTER make more than 400rwhp with 14 psi of boost. Especially with better heads and intake....

There's a guy over at TM.com that made 530 rwhp and 6xx ft/lb on 15-16 psi with 110 octane.

Also, around 470rwhp at 12psi with 93 octane.
i'm sure i could make more with this turbo, but i don't want to break anything in my bottom end, so i don't really want to go past 400 at the wheels, or about 8psi.

I'l tell you what, send the turbine housing over, and Il fab you up a pass side mouted single retaining ac and ps.
Let me know, Il PM you the address, and info, then we can get things moving.

If it costs more then $10 to ship over, dont bother, I can see if Zach (1105) will let me borrow his for mock up.

OinkAodeOink said:
I'l tell you what, send the turbine housing over, and Il fab you up a pass side mouted single retaining ac and ps.
Let me know, Il PM you the address, and info, then we can get things moving.

If it costs more then $10 to ship over, dont bother, I can see if Zach (1105) will let me borrow his for mock up.
you da man! :hail2:

i can probably get the guy on ebay to ship it to you instead of me. just pm me the address asap so i can get him before he ships it.