Good Deal on a 306?

There is a shop in town here that has a rebuilt '74 306, 0 km's with keith black Hypers, Scat crank, correct pan for a fox, electric water pump, MSD distributor and a couple of odds and ends. Is it worth it to buy for $900 (canadian)?

So I would need to do a roller conversion with it, what does that usually run?
Or, is it worth it for a mild 306 with either a GT40 head or mild aluminum to go with rollers, or just use some hydraulics?

The thing is, I have to pull the engine before spring, and want something that will work for a couple of years until I go stroker, just for some background.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

What about the machining? I went to 2 engine shops in town and they both were in the $3000 range to rebuild my bottom end, and wouldn't do it without doing everything, sizing rods, line hone, deck etc. I would put everything together, maybe save a couple hundred bucks but that's still a big difference

Yeah I thought I could just get it bored and checked out, new pistons and rings for less than $1000. Might try a couple other shops, but the places I went to were saying that it's not worth it to do a 5.0, as the 331's and 347's are around the $3400 mark.

You can build a shortblock cheaper or close to the same price than that with better internals...
+1

What about the machining? I went to 2 engine shops in town and they both were in the $3000 range to rebuild my bottom end, and wouldn't do it without doing everything, sizing rods, line hone, deck etc. I would put everything together, maybe save a couple hundred bucks but that's still a big difference
thats way way high, I got mine machined and balanced for 8 or 9 hundred, I got alot more than the basic stuff too, decks squared, cylinders bored with torque plates, magnaflexed block and shot peened the rods. So plus forged pistons, rings and bearings think it was like 1300 or 1400 total.

So forget the old block, not worth it.

Besides, today I got my work bonus. It was more than twice what I though.

So I bought this:

main girdle
ARP rod bolts
Main Stud Kit
Cylinder Head Stud Kit
Forged pistons
Edelebrock RPM heads
Roller rockers
Ford Motorsports F-Cam 226 @ .050 .512 lift 114 LSA

It comes with a hurricane intake and elbow also, few other goodies. 0 kms, stock internals other than pistons. It was used with a Novi 1000 before the rebuild, I could buy that too for an extra $1000, but I kinda want to go turbo. All for $3000.

Thoughts?