good deal, or should i wait?

98_stang_guy

Apr 17, 2003
Wisconsin
since my old man gave me the big :notnice: on swapping my auto for a 5-speed, now i am in the market for a new car, a V6 5-speed. im looking for either a red or black (preferably black) '96-'98 V6 5-speed with the same or less miles than my current car (90,000) and grey or black interior. i came across a car that fits all of my requirements and they are asking $4950 for it. do you guys think i should wait for something else to come along, or do you think that is a fairly good deal?

A2027880_3.jpg

A2027880.jpg

A2027880_1.jpg

A2027880_2.jpg

the wheels and the spoiler are hideous, and will be the first things to go (if i do end up getting this)

the car has 78,000 miles, its pretty loaded...everything except leather, it has side exhaust, and has some sort of sony aftermarket cd player too (i dont know much about car audio)

if you have anything to warn me about or any reason it isnt worth or is worth $4950, please reply!

• Sponsors (?)

those rims would look a little better if they were going the 'right way' on the passenger side... and the wing is a little much yeah, but 5000 bux? i would keep looking, i got mine for 3200 and it had 112,000 miles!
and it came with lots of uber extras, like snow tires, and a super ugly 'wind deflector' on the rear window, and the ugly bra on the front! whoo! those last two came off within the first 24 hours!

as far as the wheels go, i'd probably take the super ugly ones off the '97 and put them on my '98 and sell them w/ my '98. i'd put the stock V6 wheels from my '98 on to the '97. so the wheels thing wouldnt be much of an issue, its more so the wing. as for the 99+ stangs having more power...i really dont know if i can find one in my price range, if i can find one for around $5,000 that'd be awesome, but i dont think its gonna happen. if you know of one for sale around the wisconsin area let me know.

and ghostalker...your has 112,000 miles, this one has 78,000 miles...that is quite a big difference, and probably the reason you got your's so cheap. i found another stang for $1900, but it dont mention the miles and its pretty strip down.

oh, wow i didnt read the miles, all i read was it met your under 90,000 miles part, which would only be a little difference, once you get up there miles are... um... miles yeah
also mine was in IMMACULATE condition asside fro mthe uber ugly bra and spoiler thingy!
my brothers first car had 180,000 miles on it (almost all highway) when he bought it, and it ran fine, it was knocked out of commision after he sold it by the guys sheer stupidity... ran a blinking red light with a few gals in the car, amazing that the car was uselessly totaled but everyone was perfectly ok... =D

atlblue2000 said:
You could also find a decent fox 5.0 for $5,000 if you might be in the market.

i absolutely hate the fox bodies, but i was looking at the '94 and '95 5.0's. i found a '94 with 111,000 miles, red 5-speed with black interior. it has a pretty sweet aftermarket hood scoop thing goin on...asking $5800. should the miles scare me or will it run for another 100,000?

941116670.167229999.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x382.jpg

The good thing about a high mileage 5.0 is that if you need a new engine, they are plentiful. If you need a new tranny, they are plentiful. The prices are respectible too and labor wont get ya like it will on a 4.6 for the most part. If it is still driving well and feels strong go for it. Heck, he might even take an obo on the price if you are seriously interested.

And for the record, when I was building my 308 it was being built with the intentions of going into a 94-95. I like the fox body, but I love the 94-95.

i just got off the phone with the guy that has the 5.0. he says it has the cobra svo hood? (or something like that) because he bumped into his friend at 5mph, and the bumper support was bent in, so he replacedit, however no damage was done to the radiator or engine or anything. the clutch was replaced about 5,000 miles ago with a stock OEM clutch. the tires are in good shape, it has 3.73 gears, posi, off-road H-pipe and a cat-back exhaust system w/ flowmasters. i asked him what his bottom dollar would be, and he said he would like to get $5300 out of it.

comments are appreciated!!!

Well like I said drive it and see what you think. If its real nice, offer him $5,000 cash of you can and see what he says. Thats a nice hood, imo. Ask him where he got it and look real hard at it to make sure it was prepped well and it looks like it fits the way it should. some aftermarket hoods are horrible in terms of how they fit so just make sure it looks like a clean fit.

Also post this in the 94-95 forums for any specific things to look for when buying an SN-95 5.0. Alot of helpful, knowledgeable guys over there.