good engine or bad engine?

FoxGT87

5 Year Member
Aug 1, 2009
St.pete FL
I am going to be trading a truck that i have that is just sitting taking up space for a few items. from an old buddy.

he is getting my truck and i am getting a 351w that i was told has been previously gone through, an engine stand, some welding work, and a bolt action rifle he says it was a russian sniper i dont really know for sure and i think it shoots like a 7.76x10r but i cant remember the exact numbers on it(this thread isnt about the gun anyways)

i took the valve covers off and it was really clean inside, no build up. a couple of the rockers had a little play but nothing dramatic. what are some ways of telling that this is a good engine? i dont have pictures i forgot to bring my camera.

plans for it are head port work, nitrous cam, and a carb. glad im doing it this way that way i can enjoy my car with the running 302 and piece together this engine and make it right to swap in.

thoughts please.

• Sponsors (?)

If you can get the motor stable enough so it doesn't fall over pull the plugs and do a compression test. It can be done you will just need a big enough bar to turn it. the readings will be on low side since the motor is cold but it it should give you an indicator of a bad cylinder. You could also check the oil for cream and signs of coolant or ther stuff and if the oil filter is on it you could pull it and cut it open to check for metal.

While its on the stand I would take the heads off, see what kind of pistons it has, they should be stamped if it was bored, and then take the oil pan off and just look around. To be on the safe side, replace the oil pump while your in there and get a 1 piece blue gasket.

I don't know what your plans are, but installing a cam while its on the stand is a cake walk if you were going to upgrade. Also, if your going fuel injected, you will need a reverse flow water pump, which is also much easier to replace while on the stand.

good advice, my plans for it is to have it sit and put money into it when money allows. but basically new cam and port/polish heads and N2O. im not going to stroke it out, just figured if i go with a 351 that isnt costing anything out of pocket i will be able to make power cheaper than if i were to try and make my 302 faster. i am on the right frame of mind right?

also the 302 would be sold right after the swap along with MAF and computer, the trickflow upper/lower, and uhh... anything else >.<

i know im going to need a new cross member, oil pan, cam, port job, valves, and carb. but all of the accessories should swap over and my trans will aswell so i am thinking it should be pretty straight forward after i acquire the parts to do the swap... oil pan and cross member.

Doesn't sound like too great of an idea to me.

First off, the carb, bad idea. Devalues the car and in most cases is a PITA to work with.

Porting stock 351 heads is a waste of time and money.
Good 351 heads are like 2 grand.
Swap parts for the carb and the 351 add up quick.

Nothing is budget about your project and by using stock heads you still could land up with an engine that makes just a little more power than a 500 dollar gt40p explorer engine with a cam.

Keep it simple.
302 block based engine, some good heads/cam/intake, leave it efi.
You'll be finished quicker, less headaches, and i bet you make more power.

And nitrous is far from a power solution, i used it back it the day. Spend the nitrous money on better heads.

Nothing wrong with doing a good 351, you just can't slap together a bunch of low budget parts and expect it to be worth while. Done right a 408 can make awesome power, done wrong a 351 is worse than a 302.

i have been considering going with a carb for the 302. i really just cant see a GT40 motor making as much power as a 351 with a cam and some port work. i have a decent platform in my 302 but i keep adding up the costs and im looking at like 1600 dollars on engine alone(heads, cam, injectors, MAF) by looking at the 351 as a short cut do you think im going to end up screwing myself over in the long run?

looking for more opinions. to be honest im more excited about the gun than anything else.

I would go the 351w route. You get more cubes and a stronger block. I really don't see how you wouldn't make more power with the 351w and it leaves room to grow. If I had to do it all over again I would have went with a 408 instead of the 331 I have now. As far as price goes some of the parts can be found for cheep like dis., and oil pan on Craigs list. But I do agree with not going the nitrous route save that money and find some good used aluminum heads for like 700 to 800. The carb idea is not a bad idea since you will need another intake anyway I think it all depends on how mechanically inclined you are, I know people that prefer carbs and think that's keeping it simple. If you plan this right you can still keep it relatively cheap and have a fast car.

Look, bottom line, if you build a 351 based engine and don't go all out on the heads, there is no reason to build it in the first place. It's going to take you $1000 in port work/springs/valves to make even decent power from stock 351 heads, and even then they will still be valueless on the used market when you find that it didn't work out so great.

Regular 351 blocks aren't much stronger than stock 302 blocks.

Not saying that 351 engines can't make great power, they can.
But it's the ones that are purpose built and designed that make all the power.

If you aren't will to drop at least $1500 (i'd say more) on the heads, don't even get involved in the 351.
I'll say it again, All the power is in the heads, the extra displacement doesn't mean a thing without them.

As for the carb, it's your car, do what you want, but it's by no means cheaper or easier.
You already have a 302 intake and TB. Add a pmas meter and 24's, afr 165's or TW's and a custom cam and you will be up around 320rwhp with your 302.
Then use a donor block to build yourself a decent 347 for the future, while you enjoy your 302. Have the heads cnc'ed, swap out the intake for a bigger one, and now you are at 400rwhp (and up).

For sure your stock 302 with the right heads will outrun a 351 with stock ported heads.

Take my word on this, you embark on this debacle of a 351 project you are planning, and that gun you love so much, you may just want to turn it on yourself or the car in 2 years when you just a have a big pile of junk sitting in your garage.

Just being honest with you, hoping to prevent a disaster that i've seen many times.

There is a reason people are always giving away there old junk, it's because it's just that, Junk.

I agree with 2000xp8, don't go carb, it makes a bad impression when you pop the hood. You already have the trick flow upper intake, so all you would need is the 351 lower.

I would change the heads out too. I swapped mine for some twisted wedges and have the old 351 heads in the shed that I can't even sell for $50 on craigslist.

I say get it and let it sit on the stand, you never know when you might come across a good deal on some heads or intake.

Just being honest with you, hoping to prevent a disaster that i've seen many times.

There is a reason people are always giving away there old junk, it's because it's just that, Junk.

well this morning i canceled the trade. for two reasons the first being your first post got into my head when i was drunk last night and made a lot of sense. the second being my woman has me by the balls and said no. so... its a no go. guy was pretty pissed off but my family feels better about the situation that i canceled no one in my house likes this guy, hell i dont much like the guy.

i was definately looking at the 351 as a short cut but to be honest i always thought that the 351 trucks i ran with with my 302 truck im trying to get rid of, that my 302 ran just as strong if not stronger than theirs.

another thing i have been thinking is building the 302 on my truck to swap into my stang. i do know that the 302 in my truck has had top end work done and was bored out to 306. the iron heads may have had port work done to them.

really just kind of lost in what i want to do.