Good Mechanic

TrojanPony

Jul 1, 2007
Los Angeles
I need to find a good mechanic. I have been able to find a good deal of Mechanics in my area, but I want to make sure that my car gets the best treatment at the right price.
I am in Palm Springs California and realize that it would be a long shot to get a recomendation for a mechanic in my area (although that would be amazing). I was hoping that you could give me some ideas on how to find a quality, trustworthy mechanic.
Any imput helps.

• Sponsors (?)

Engine Rebuild

The car has been sitting for about 30 years, so I am thinking about having the engine rebiult. For now I just want someone with more experience than myself to look at it and give me a direction to go.

Many normal engine rebuilders can do a good job if you only need a standard rebuild. I don't know of any out near Palm Springs, but here there is Adams Metalizing, Jim Grubbs Motorsports, and Performance Automotive Warehouse(PAW).

Adams is a normal rebuild outfit that seems to do good work, Grubbs is a higher dollar performance builder, and PAW mainly sells rebuilt engines and rebuilt engine kits. I have a virgin-block, forged piston, roller 302 from PAW in my '68 that I had to assemble myself.

If you're looking for a mechanic to pull the engine AND have it rebuilt, I can't help there. That will cost no matter what.

"Hobby Cars", "Good Mechanics", and "Cheap" don't ever mix IMO.

I had a customer in 1996 who had a plate mounted to his desk that read:

"Speed - Quality - Price"
"Pick Two"

It's going to cost $2500 to rebuild your engine (if the machine shop is any good), plus around $800 in labor to R+R it and whatever misc. small parts need to be replaced. I know you can find somebody to do it cheaper. I'm telling you they are cutting corners, and I know I'm not okay with it.

For most people who don't do thier own work, it's a ton cheaper to just sell it to sell thier clean but needs full resto job and buy a nicer car.

I'm not what you would call close (S.D.). But I've been known as an honest mechanic.:D
We are doing a car with similiar problems. And it's not just the motor. The fuel lines are shot and tank is just, yeah. Brake lines are all dry rotted. Tons of stuff needs to be replaced on this things to get it road worthy.