got a new plan, and some questions about rust sealers and such.

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
I think I am going to chemically dip my car. I figure it would be easiest right now considering the car is mostly stripped. I would have to pull the chrome trim and wiring off.

I am not sure what suspension stuff they would want left on. I would imagine that it would be taken off.

The cost is around $600. Which is cheap considering that there is at least 3 paint jobs on the car, I can scratch and find black, blue, and green. It would take weeks and hundreds of dollars worth of sanding disks and paint stripper to get it down to bare metal.

I figure I would spray on a coat of the Ppg epoxy primer that I saw in another thread. That way It will not flash rust and I could put it outside if I needed.

For the underbody, insides, and engine bay. I am not sure what to use. I know of the corrales, and the eastwood rust encapsulator. Right now I am leaning towards the rust encapsulator. But I dont know what would work best. I am definantly not going the Por-15 route again. It may be good stuff but the prep and my last experience is keeping me from using it.

The eastwood stuff can be tinted to different colors. I might go that route.

anyone have opinons on rust sealers? Or know of some that I have not mentioned?

also, has anyone had thier car dipped before? what all was required? IE removal of suspension, brakes, fuel lines, etc.

I figure It will be a little over $1000 to get all that done. Then I can start working on getting the engine bay and such put back together.

• Sponsors (?)

Be very careful about having your car dipped. I just had one done at a very well known business. They told me that all the acid was neutralized but it wasn't between the seems in the metal. I've tried everything to stop the seeping out of this acid, and yet it still seeps and causes paint to blister and peel. Media balsting is a alot better deal, No acid to deal with. As for the sealer, Metal conditioner, then Epoxy primer is the best way I've found. Body work as normal from there.

I have heard that as well, about the chemicals seeping out of the seams.

There is a mobile soda blaster guy around here. I might look into that as well.

did you ever get the paint to not blister?

how long did it take to dry out?