GT 2-Day Test Drive

speedytang

Founding Member
Jul 28, 1999
Marengo,Ohio,US
Ok, Let me be honest about the car. I really like the body style since I seen the 1st pictures 3 years ago. Never driven a 96- Mod engine in a Mustang. I went to the dealer yesterday looking around and gasping at the price and I knew how much they cost but looking at the car inside and out hard for me to see $28k+. I figure in my head over and over that things are expense and if I want a new car this is one of the few I would want. My wife is OK with the car but does not really excite her but then she did not like the 94-04 cars either. I talk to a sales person and he gets the keys to unlock a silver GT I was looking at and I like the color and its a stick. He starts the car so it can warm up and I like the exhaust sound and I am 6'4" and I like the feel of my driving position and my wife is 5'4" and she has no problems with the seating position. The sales person puts a tag on the car and my wife and I head off for a test drive. Ok this is my 3rd Mod engine car I have driven. My 2004 V10 Motorhome and a friends 4.6 F150. Now I will be honest not thrilled with the throttle response at all and I really think from 0-60 my '89 when stock would eat this car up and my wife agreed. Now I do drive a 480+rwhp car 7 months a year so it is hard to compare at times. I think the suspension rides rough but yet does not feel heavy but yet un-easy in a high speed turn, not sure on this yet. The interior is nice but some locations of the buttons and such seem off considering Ford had 40+ years to figure it out. My wife took a turn and being shorter she thinks the radio controls are to far off and she thinks the transmission is to spongy I did not mind the transmission but then I drive a Fox T-5 so not really a great transmission to compare with. lol. I have the car for 2-Days and just got home from playing till 3:00am and still not sold. I took the car today to the Pontiac dealer to compare with a GTO and what a mistake that was. Pontiac would match the window sticker on the Mustang and the car drives excellent and really compares to my wife Corvette and so much more for the same money. I just don't like the GTO looking like a Grand Prix and a Grand Am. Somethinig strang also in the Mustang glove box the car is a '06 and it has a list of 4 things that needs fixed before delivery. Shoot for recalls before it even gets in someones hands. Well I can take the heat and I am not decided yet and Mustangs are really rare around and the dealer has not had luck selling them in my area because this is a horse area so Motorhomes and Pickups are 6 out of 10 cars on the road.Well lets see the feedback and yes I have 3 Fords and 2 GMs in my household and no complaints. Just $550 a month I want the most without going import. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think you should pass and let someone who really wants a new mustang get it! Mustang isn't just a car, it's a state of mine. Sure, there might be faster (Shelby not out yet), more nimble, blah, blah, who effin cares! You don't love it....so leave it! Doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

THE BOMB

I agree with The Bomb. Mustangs are kinda like Harleys. There are faster and better riding out there, but when it comes to the cool factor, they can't be touched. I'm a 3rd gen Ford guy and the Mustang has been my favorite car since I was a little kid. When I saw this car and was in place where I could afford it, it was a dream come true. I knew I was getting this car before I even sat in it. The Mustang culture is a special thing!

Sounds like you should just get another Corvette.

The GTO does have more power, but it does not out handle the Mustang. IRS or not... its heavier and sits higher.

As far as looking liek a Grand Prix or Grand Am... hell its a Pontiac. I remember when people use to complain that brands did nto have an unique Identity. Pontiac now has one.

Both the Mustang and the GTO are, like said above, a state of mind. They have an intrensic cool factor to them. If it has not bitten you...you don't know of what we speak.

HAve you considered a 350Z? I know its an import, but its handling is incredible. How about an RX8. You said you already have a beast of a HP car. Why not offset that with something wit reasonable power, but awesome handling?

I am 6'0" and I am comfortable with the reach of all the accessories in my GT,except for the Seat belt.

THe Mustang is not for you, and neither is the GTO. Go Drive a Charger and if you dont like that its either Corvette or import.

Well the responses are what I figured they would be. If you own one you don't want to say it is not as promised and I understand that I am the same way I guess about my '89 when I am talking to the Slomaro owners. That is fine I just know that with the many sites I visit many are disappointed and already trying to sell them but to upside down to get out. I can say when I returned it today I am not a new Mustang type of person. I will enjoy my Stang and save the payments. Thanks for the Responses

I've owned every body style Mustang since the Fox body, and I can say that the old 5.0L stock is nowhere near the speed and power of the new 3V. The 5.0L feels like it's got more torque off the line but I think that just throws off the calibration in your butt.

I will agree with you that when I test drove my '06 the first time I wasn't sold on spending just shy of $30K on one, and I already had an '05 at home that my better half drove. At the time I was looking at trading in my '03 Mach 1 on the '06 so that made the decision even harder. What finally sold me was the overall look, and what I think is a great aftermarket support. It's amazing what some of the people out there are doing with some basic bolt ons. People are seeing gains with this motor off of simple mods that haven't been seen since the 5.0L Foxbody days. I guess all in all I have to agree with the guys above, Mustangs are a way of life, and the throw back look just has me hooked.

Jason