Gt-40 P heads with cam install?

mustang88

Nov 2, 2004
ok im gunna be installing gt40p heads on my mustang soon ,the heads looked to be rebuilt at one time but dont know for sure, i want to just stick a cam in with the heads and not have to change springs,pushrods, etc. cam i do that with stock p heads or do i have to replace stuff, any cams that are safe for the stock springs that i can get away with? thinking of a trickflow 1 cam or ford b-303 or e 303 cam for now.

• Sponsors (?)

You should have the heads gone over before install..nothing worse than having to tear it apart if the valve seals are worn or springs are shot..I say get the heads done if needed. With that cam you will need to convert to mass air if not yet done.

DMAN302 said:
You should have the heads gone over before install..nothing worse than having to tear it apart if the valve seals are worn or springs are shot..I say get the heads done if needed. With that cam you will need to convert to mass air if not yet done.

+1.... And correct me if I'm wrong guys but stock springs should be good to about .500 lift right, assuming the cam isnt overly aggressive

if you do a cam swap I would get new lifters, that is the proper way to do it because they could be worn, and you don't want your new cam to get worn out because of old lifters. The stock springs should be fine, the roller rockers so should also be fine. I would stay away from the ford alphabet cams, they are outdated. the trick flow stage 1 is good or call comp cams and ask them, they'll steer you in the right direction. hope this helps.

ohh and +2 on the mass air converison and heads being looked at. I did the mass air converison on my mustang it wasnt hard, I have all the instructions on my computer, so pm me if you would like them.