GT-40's are back from the shop with flow numbers.

• Sponsors (?)

All basic stuff. Ported heads (w/ crane 1.7 rr's), ported Explorer intake, cam, BBK headers, BBK o/r H, Flowmasters and a twEECer. I'm not going to bother with the other stuff like the TB, MAF, pullies or gears untill I get the big stuff done. Hell, even the stock injectors will probably be fine.

I'm hoping the heads, cam and intake + dyno tune will get under 14 sec, maybe 250-270 to the wheels I guess :shrug: I don't even know which cam it will be yet, so I don't know what to compare it to.

John

I got a sneaky gut feeling your numbers are gonna be better than some think!

I am not one who is gonna say to you ................

Too Bad You Didn't use "P" Heads!

I'll be watching to see!

Grady

final5-0 said:
John

I got a sneaky gut feeling your numbers are gonna be better than some think!

I am not one who is gonna say to you ................

Too Bad You Didn't use "P" Heads!

I'll be watching to see!

Grady
Old man...oops, I mean...uhh...Grady. :D

If those flow numbers are accurate (meaning the right bore size, and right exhaust pipe diameter, etc.), that car will FLY!

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Old man...oops, I mean...uhh...Grady. :D

If those flow numbers are accurate (meaning the right bore size, and right exhaust pipe diameter, etc.), that car will FLY!

Joe

Hey Joe

I'm right with you!

As far as oem iron heads go ...................

I somehow feel most peeps think ..........................

The P head is over rated
and
The GT40 head is under rated

Grady

Update: I met with the cam designer today for a couple hours. We ran through the numbers and this is what he came up with for my setup and flow numbers:

Rated Exh. Duration: 271° (so 215-220 @ .050 depending on the manufacturer and profile)
Rated Int. Duration: 270°
L.C.A.: 110°
Cam Advance: 4° , Int. Centerline @ 106°
Lift, .500-.550 w/1.6 rockers
Est. Vacuum: 16.5 "Hg (note: estimate)

SO . . . as bimmertech guessed, the E303 is super close! But it could use some more lift. In searching some more, I went through the Comp Cams core/lobe/LCA profiles and came up with a custom grind part# to order.

BUT . . . I found this :D http://store.summitracing.com/
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=35-420-8
It's basicly dead on perfect with what he specified. I'll probably order this one from Summit tommorow so I can start this next week. What do you guys think?

Zero Signal said:
All basic stuff. Ported heads (w/ crane 1.7 rr's), ported Explorer intake, cam, BBK headers, BBK o/r H, Flowmasters and a twEECer. I'm not going to bother with the other stuff like the TB, MAF, pullies or gears untill I get the big stuff done. Hell, even the stock injectors will probably be fine.

I'm hoping the heads, cam and intake + dyno tune will get under 14 sec, maybe 250-270 to the wheels I guess :shrug: I don't even know which cam it will be yet, so I don't know what to compare it to.

you will get under 14 sec easily. with supporting suspension mods and a good 60' you could even hit 12's. you will be ok with stock injectors.

Well with 1.7's I'd be looking at .566 or so valve lift on that Comp Cams one (.333 lobe lift) which I think is really starting to push the limits of the valve train. I would do 1.7's if I went with the E303 which would net around .528" at the valve.

Right now, I'm mostly debating wether the $100 difference in price between the Comp Cam and the E303 is worth it.

your intake side looks good but you mustve not blended the bosses on the exhaust side. thats where alot of people lose their exhaust #'s. ive just completed hogging out my p's and im gonna match my cam after i get the #'s back but i can tell you this, hogged out p heads are capable of supporting upto a 550 lift cam. buying an ecam just assumes youve wasted your time porting your heads as your not going to utilize their full potential. ill put my numbers up when i get my heads back and some pics to. by the way, good job

Zero Signal said:
Well with 1.7's I'd be looking at .566 or so valve lift on that Comp Cams one (.333 lobe lift) which I think is really starting to push the limits of the valve train. I would do 1.7's if I went with the E303 which would net around .528" at the valve.

Right now, I'm mostly debating wether the $100 difference in price between the Comp Cam and the E303 is worth it.

if cost is an issue, get your stock one reground, delta camshaft in washington will grind your factory cam to any grind you want (like the comp one you want) for 85 bucks
they are a good bunch of guys and have a good rep

I am going to have them grind up a comp XE cam for me hear soon
http://www.deltacam.com/

Well doing it again, I would remove a lot more in the exhuast side without a doubt! I should have taken more out of the roof to prevent that boundary layer separation I'm getting right now, or at least to help negate it's effects.

I ended up with what I have in my sig for the cam.

You also need to remember that I will not be shifting at 6500 like you would with a big cam. It's just not the best way to go with our valve train and lifter design. Too many people get too big of a cam and sat it's better becuase it's bigger (more duration, more lift). It's far from the truth with my design goals. I designed this whole thing with a 5800 rpm shift point in mind, so peak torque around 4000 rpm with a broad falloff. I see so many people with HP peaking after 6k with all their high rpm tuned stuff and it's a waste since they put their shift points waaaay out of the realistic range for our stock shortblock and midly modified valve train. So to say I should be running a bigger cam with my flow numbers is somewhat presumptuous.

BUUUUT . . . . we shall see once I get it running, tuned with a dyno sheet and 1/4 mile #'s. But I'm pretty confident it will do what I want it to.