GT Factory HP

I wanted to see if anybody else ever noticed this, I just did last night. The 99-04 GT PI cars are rated from the factory at 260hp, but if you look at all the mustang mags they allways get around 215 at the wheels for a automatic and 230 or a hair more for the 5 speeds. In the april 2004 issue of Muscle mustang and FF they compared the GT, March1, and cobra ( this is what I was looking at when I realised this) they dynoed the GT and got 214hp and 265lb of torque, now with a 23% loss thru the automatic that would put it at 280hp not the 260 ford rates them at. If you look thru the mags for the articles the stock 5 speed cars usually make around 230, and with a 15% loss this would be around 280 also. It is a known fact that the cobra's were underrated from the factory, so am I doing something wrong on my calculator or are the GT's a little underrated too? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

DOWN WITH THE RICER'S :notnice:

seriously I was wondering about this because I'm doing the PI swap over the summer and was trying to get a idea of where my rwhp would be with my bolt-on parts I have on my motor now. If the PI autos make 215 I think I would be around 260-270 with my parts after re-tuning my chip. I've got 238 now :nice:

Dyno's lie there azzez off. Get a base line and tune from the SAME base line dyno.

Track times are a better for true HP numbers.

I doubt the 4.6 PI makes more then the rated 260 HP.

Cavallo said:
Dyno's lie there azzez off. Get a base line and tune from the SAME base line dyno.

Track times are a better for true HP numbers.

I doubt the 4.6 PI makes more then the rated 260 HP.
Somebody finally making some f'ing sense...excellent post, Cavallo - tell 'em like it is. I love these people who think they have a "factory freak" - no, what you have is a "friendly dyno operator". :rlaugh: :lol: :rolleyes:

And for the rest of you - Kilgore is jerking your throttle cable... :owned:

Cavallo said:
...I doubt the 4.6 PI makes more then the rated 260 HP.

There is some variance between 2v GT's but it's not that much. Way back when, my tuner estimated mine to be 270 flywheel hp completely stock because it was a bit stronger than the average. As far as autos, the loss is 20-23%.

It takes high flowing heads/cams and exhaust to get 300+ wheel hp on a 2v N/A GT.

From all I've seen over the years, Ford's rating of the 2v GT's is pretty much on target. On the other hand, cars such as the 03+ Cobra appear underrated if you do the math.