Gt40 Intake Question

golf4283

May 30, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
So i installed a GT40 intake and am going EFI in my '65 and I have a question regarding sensor placement.

the GT40 lower intake I have has 2 rear threaded ports on either side. My question is are the readings at those ports as accurate as ones where the coolant is flowing? the intake doesn't have a rear crossover so it seems that coolant is not flowing but is rather pooled in those spots.

I'm not 100% sure on how coolant flows through the engine so I just want to make sure the readings of any sensors I place there will be as accurate as ones placed where coolant is flowing.

The reason I ask is that I have to install the ECT, Temp Gauge, and an electric fan thermostat. I would guess the ECT gauge is the highest priority so I could move that to the front of the intake where coolant flows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Alternate placement for a temp gauge sender:

Revised 24 July 2011 to add better temp sender location description and the necessity to loop the fluid flow through the heater circuit.

How it works:
If you want any kind of operation similar to stock, the ECT/heater feed line is the best place for a temp sender or fan thermo sensor. After all, the computer uses the ECT to pick up data on how warm the engine is. Putting the temp sender in the same line as the ECT is a simple way to get the best possible accuracy at minimum cost and complication.

Some things to keep in mind:
Just be sure that you haven’t blocked the coolant return because of a leaky heater core. For this to work correctly, the coolant needs to flow from the ECT sensor tubing back to the water pump. That means a leaky heater circuit gets looped rather than just plugged up. Join the rubber hoses together with a hose splice from Home Depot rather than plug them up.

Where to put it:
Use the heater feed that comes off the intake manifold that has the ECT sensor in it. Cut the rubber hose that connects the manifold water feed to the heater and splice in a tee adapter for the temp gauge sender. That way you will get the most accurate temp readings since the coolant is always flowing through the heater circuit in a stock car.

Tee adapter info:
Make a pilgrimage to your local hardware or home supply center and get some copper pipe and a tee that fits the temp gauge sender. Solder two pieces of copper pipe onto a copper pipe tee with threads in the tee part. Find the correct brass fitting to match the temp sender threads to the tee fitting.

attachment.php