gt40p heads and intake manifold off explorer

SL87lx

Aug 4, 2006
san leandro cali
im planing on going to the junk yard and diggig through a 97 or newer explorer for the gt 40 heads and intake. i was just woundering what would i need to get from the explorer to switch it to my 87 5.0 and i have headman shorty headers would they work what the gt 40 heads???? and can i use my same fuel injectors with the gt 40 lower intake of should i buys some new ones???? and i have a 70 mm throttle body would it work with the new intake manifold????

thanks for your time

• Sponsors (?)

You can re-use your injectors just fine.

I know the gt-40 and cobra intakes have a 70mm opening... the explorer SHOULD be the same.

as far as the headers... they will all FIT. Wether or not you will be able to get the new spark plug angle is the question.. and I dont have the answer.. sorry :rolleyes:

Get the motorsport GT40P Headers for them heads, otherwise you have to remove your headers everytime you want to change your plugs. You can use the stock injectors. You will have to relocate or drill and tap the Explorer intake for the intake air temp sensor. I also had to swap all the vacuum stuff from the stock intake onto the explorer intake. You will really be pleased with the results of these mods. Best bang for your buck IMO.

yeah i just picked up a cobra intake for my car with 24#er's and a 70mm throttle. cant wait to get them on my car. i used to have some P heads on my old coupe and like MAC said, get the motorsport shorties for the P's. it's a SOB otherwise. your throttle body will work too.

ponypower89 said:
I know the gt-40 and cobra intakes have a 70mm opening... the explorer SHOULD be the same.

+1 agree it SHOULD be 70mm...if not, it'lll probably be 65mm to match the throttle body.

my cobra intake has a 75mm opening (measured it last night) and it doesn't look like any port work has been done to it. I may be wrong though

any headers wONT!! fit LOL you have to get the right ones so they dont touch the plug itself. the intakes accept a 70mm stock, if you get gt40p heads you HAVE to get springs, the stock springs on a stock cam will last to maybe 5k rpm, this combo is really nice it pulls alot harder than stock!!