GT500.....worth how much if real??

Hello,
US Navy servicemember stationed overseas. I found a guy selling a GT500 hardtop. The car looks pretty good from the pictures he has but I haven't seen it in real life yet. I E-mailed him to try and get the VIN number off of the car. Can I authenticate the car this way? Anybody know where I can go to get the authentication.....depending on the price, might it be worth it? Here is a picture......sorry it won't let me post it from work. I'll post it from home later, in the meantime...ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

What year is the car, options, and condition? These all factor into the price of the car. I've seen a beater 68 500 recently for high teens, while a 67 500 went for over 280,000 at Barrett Jackson this weekend.. without more information.. somewhere between those two figures.

The cars serial number is on file with SAAC, and they can confirm the VIN for you.

mint93GT said:
Hello,
US Navy servicemember stationed overseas. I found a guy selling a GT500 hardtop. The car looks pretty good from the pictures he has but I haven't seen it in real life yet. I E-mailed him to try and get the VIN number off of the car. Can I authenticate the car this way? Anybody know where I can go to get the authentication.....depending on the price, might it be worth it? Here is a picture......sorry it won't let me post it from work. I'll post it from home later, in the meantime...ideas???

The prices are all over the map. The '67's have spiked because of the "Gone in 60 seconds" phenom. Big blocks are worth more than small blocks and fastbacks are worth less than convertables. If it is in regular un-restored condition, I found that they usually go for whatever a top of the line new Mustang is going for. That's about $35K these days... Low miles and other features will move the price a lot.

All the information I have so far is it is Blue, it is a 1969 fastback with a 428 big block...and I just found otu this place has three different Shelbys. From what I can tell they are all fastbacks...but I don't know the years. I know one of the other cars is red. I am working on getting the VIN numbers so I can check the registry to find out options, etc for those cars, and check authenticity. I think that is a good start because the place is 4 hours drive from where I am....so get an idea of if they are worth pursuing or not. The guy might know what he has and be asking huge $$$ for the cars, or he might not. :nice:

Verification

I also can help.

I'm a national SAAc officer, work closely with the 68 & 69-70 Shelby Registrar, and work part time for the Shelby authentication service being started.

All needed to start is a VIN. No VIN, No proof.

OK...the guy swears the three Shelbys he has are authentic...and he at least somewhat knows what he has. I wasn't able to get the FULL VIN because what I was looking for was lost in translation, my native speaking friend didn't quite understand what I am asking. All he found out was:

BLACK ONE: $60,000
RED ONE: $55,000
....both in unrestored (and excellent....all parts there condition)

BLUE ONE :about $35,000 US. He said it is in excellent condition, but the exhaust has been modified and that is the reason for the price. Don't know if anything else has been modified.

I will work on getting the FULL VIN on all three cars this week.

mint93GT said:
OK...the guy swears the three Shelbys he has are authentic...and he at least somewhat knows what he has. I wasn't able to get the FULL VIN because what I was looking for was lost in translation, my native speaking friend didn't quite understand what I am asking. All he found out was:

BLACK ONE: $60,000
RED ONE: $55,000
....both in unrestored (and excellent....all parts there condition)

BLUE ONE :about $35,000 US. He said it is in excellent condition, but the exhaust has been modified and that is the reason for the price. Don't know if anything else has been modified.

I will work on getting the FULL VIN on all three cars this week.

Asking the guy for pics would help. Unless the cars are in really nice shape, 55-60K may be a bit high. We all hear about the super high prices some of these cars are getting, but closing the deal at those prices are not that easy (except at Barrett Jackson :). I used to have people pull me over to ask me how much I would want for my car, most of the time they were just curious.

RGS0907 said:
Asking the guy for pics would help. Unless the cars are in really nice shape, 55-60K may be a bit high. We all hear about the super high prices some of these cars are getting, but closing the deal at those prices are not that easy (except at Barrett Jackson :). I used to have people pull me over to ask me how much I would want for my car, most of the time they were just curious.

Do you have any pics of the shelby?

$55-60K is not unreasonable if the cars are in good ORIGINAL condition or excellent restored condition. When you take pictures get detailed ones of the Shelby plate in the engine compartment and any door tag.

Most of this is all speculation. Unless the car is VERIFIED authentic by SAAC and it's actual condition is known, what's the point in guessing?

I know of a authentic Shelby convertible that was retrieved from the Toutle River after the erruption of Mt. St.Helens in 1980 but, as you can imagine, it wasn't worth much (a relative term). The car has now been carefully and correctly restored but only after CONSIDERABLE expense. Perhaps the car's unique history of destruction and then restoration actually ADDS to it's current value. :shrug: As always, only the old car MARKET knows for sure.

I bought my '68 GT500KR Convertible (Restored #2) for $25K....

But that was in 1985.... The prices today really are all over the map. Make sure its real as there seems to be more fakes than real ones out there these days.

Ray