GTA axle back mufflers good choice?

• Sponsors (?)

I got mine from Ninosport about 9 months ago for $269.00. I see they are now asking $499.95. Yikes.

Very happy with mine, just the right amount of rumble and no drone, a must for me. At almost 51 I'm not as tolerant as I once was.

Good idea. Do you know the Ford part number by any chance?

I'm having second thoughts now. I saw a bunch of places that said they were the same mufflers as on a GT. I cant find out for sure. I called ford and had them list the part numbers for the mufflers for both and they are not the same. That gives me some hope I guess. the mufflers will be here this week and I'll find out for sure.

I'm having second thoughts now. I saw a bunch of places that said they were the same mufflers as on a GT. I cant find out for sure. I called ford and had them list the part numbers for the mufflers for both and they are not the same. That gives me some hope I guess. the mufflers will be here this week and I'll find out for sure.

The FRPP GTA's are the same axle-backs that come on the Shelby GT and are certified to meet sound regulations. They are NOT the same as the stock GT mufflers. Before you even start it up you'll know there is a difference because the GTA axlebacks are 10 lbs (yes I know I'm anal but I did weigh them) lighter than the stockers.

I ran the GTA's on my GT for a week. They were too quiet, not much louder than stock.

In addition, the welds on these things were pretty crappy. I had to have the inlet tube to muffler weld re-welded right out of the box because the weld was incomplete and had a huge pinhole in it. I'd say they were priced alright at $289 which is what I paid for them, but at $400, I would definitely look at another system. Heck if you've got money to burn, for $300 more you can buy top of the line Corsas (zero drone).

Lighter than stock is good. No drone is good. A little louder is good. I don't want to piss off the neighbors, just have a little fun. I'm winding down a bit at 62 after having 3 Vettes, 2 Porsches, 56 T-Bird (289 2-4s, headers, etc) , Cobra (clone FFR), 66 GTO, BMW, MB, Miata, etc. in my fun-car lifetime.

I also have GTAs. Like some of the other posters, I wanted something just a little bit louder. I am happy with mine, they sound good and no drone. And I can also confirm that they are not the stock GT mufflers, although they look pretty much the same, with the exception of the tips.

Of course, now I kinda wish I had gone a bit more louder, but my wife already makes comments about the noise as it is. ;(

They were delivered yesterday, look really nice. Small bended ear at end of inlet side pipe from shipping damage but very minor and easily bent back. Will install this weekend. Fun!

I installed mine today, along with an S&B CAI. I can say that the GTAs give it a deeper and slightly louder sound at idle, somewhat of a difference at sub-40 MPH speeds, and no difference at all that I could hear while on the freeway. Just enough of a difference while cruising that someone may or may not notice. But I don't mind that. No drone, as mentioned before. I bought mine used, by the way.

Oh, and another great thing about them is how much nicer the tips are. Man what a difference!

exhaustcomparissonn.jpg

I installed mine today, along with an S&B CAI. I can say that the GTAs give it a deeper and slightly louder sound at idle, somewhat of a difference at sub-40 MPH speeds, and no difference at all that I could hear while on the freeway. Just enough of a difference while cruising that someone may or may not notice. But I don't mind that. No drone, as mentioned before. I bought mine used, by the way.

Oh, and another great thing about them is how much nicer the tips are. Man what a difference!

exhaustcomparissonn.jpg

Your description of the exhaust note is the best I've ever read and pretty much exactly my experience with the GTA's. I'll put it this way, They add a lot "quality sound" and a little "volume". If one's priority is primarily volume to say "look at me!", you'd be better with a different set up. The comments I've received has been that the exhaust has a crisp, clean, deep growl. I know they're back there, especially around town with the windows down, but roll 'em up and cruise down the highway, and you don't really hear them at all, which is exactly the subtle difference I was looking for. :D

Your photo says it all when it comes to the tips. They fill the cutouts right nicely and make the rear look complete, epecially with the California Special rear facia.