guys with 4:10s chime in.

Woodrow said:
With the e-cam and ported heads you should leave the 4.10's in the car imo, put a 26x8or10 on it and you will be happy with the results.

If the motor is stock or mildly built stick the 4.10's in it, you wont regret it.

Yeah i've got a new long block in the works with P heads and the E303 and i'll probably build up the top end so i can run the RPMs higher, that'll net me some higher MPH trap speeds also.

• Sponsors (?)

go with as much gear that you can get away wit hsince you dont care about gas mileage or highway rpms.

ive got 3.73's and i wouldnt mind having some 4.10's sometimes

I ran a 3.73 for a few years and I thought it was perfect for the setup I had (maf/tb/manifold/exhaust/pullies). A buddy of mines had the same mods in his GT but also had a 4.10. In the 1/4 we were pretty much a drivers race but on the street and highway his car felt much more responsive(read: better). If I had it to do over I would've gone with a 4.10 from the beginning. I think choosing between the two is just a matter of what your priorities are with the car. You have your answer. :D I decided to move up to a 4.10 after the heads/cam went in. It is perfect for this combo. I don't mind the higher freeway RPMs because I love the way 5th gear pulls.

I went with a 3.73 in my AOD because I just wanted to wake the car up. I bought this car to be a daily driver/cruiser first but the 2.73 gear just want cutting it. :nono: Track car or not this thing was downright depressing in stock form.

Being a guy who's driven 410s for the last nearly 4 years, i'd have to say it comes down to how much power and torque your car makes. The more stock your engine is, the more gear you need, where more power can easily make up for a smaller gear. Of course if you're looking at max quarter mile potential, that's not the case. I have a friend with a pretty stout 347/3.73 car and it's a total animal, and 1st gear is nearly USELESS on street tires. I can't imagine it with any more gear than it has. If you drive it hard enough it'll blow the tires out in 4th gear. If you're looking at a solid stroker or power adders, i'd stay away from anything more than 3.73s unless you're only looking to play around. The biggest down fall to 4.10s is you lose a pretty good amount of top speed. My car has been killed on the highway 3 times now....twice by two different SHO's and once by....a Civic....because my car just ran out of breath compared to the other higher revving cars and just petered out. So many people have 3.73s because they're a good compromise between take off and top end.

honestly going from 3.08 to 3.73 I will say i didnt notice a difference WOT, being honest here. You definatly notice the rpms but thats really all for me. Going from 3.55 to 3.73 you wont feel ****. Go with 4.10's and have fun. Its really not about the gas that gets bad, its the rpms always rining in your ear that gets old sometimes, and it will takegetting used to the sound of the high rpms, but you dont have stock gears so you should know all that. If I had to do it again id go with 3.73 just because of the rpms, but if you dont care about that it will be FUN, dont waste your money and time going from 3.55 to 3.73.

Track times though, thats where it made it all worth it.

i've got a t-5z with the 2.95 first gear.i first had 3.55s and the car just felt like it was lacking something.i went to 4.10s and first gear feels better but it's srill usuable.with the .63 5th and 26 inch tires i can run 65mph on the interstate at just over 2100 rpms.i finally took it to the d/s last night and ran a best et of 8.77 and a best mph of 83.the best et came from redlining 3rd but the best mph came from using 4th for a few feet.

Didnt read this whole thread, but I had 4:10s on my old car.

If you get 4:10s, plan on buying nittos or some other drag radial. My street tires lasted about 2 weeks. I got BFG drag radials and man it was a blast. 4:10s arent that bad, or at least not as bad as people make them out to be. I had a differnt 1st gear in my tranny, so 1st gear wasnt bad for me and used it in normal driving, but if you have stock tranny gears, I suggest starting off in 2nd under normal driving just to save wear and tear.

4:10s on heated drag radials in a near stock mustang, snapping your head back Oooo I could just :eek:

I loved smoking new GTs and stuff and telling them my car was stock...

When I get a new mustang, 4:10s will be my 1st buy.

Edit (Thats what I had, 2.95 1st gear)