H/C/I 5.0 vs H/C LT1....what'll happen?

It's like this, a stock LT1 is a 275hp and 320tq car, gets it torque at 2000rpm and has a flat powerband until about mid 5K's. They nearly put thier rated HP/TQ to the wheels because they were underrated. A stock 5.0 will put less than 200hp to the tire. Unless you have a real nice agressive H/C/I, your going to have a real tough time without a poweradder. Of course, there are other factors besides the engine that can determine the race.

• Sponsors (?)

how much lighter are 5.0 stangs compared to LT1 cars? if an f-body can get down to 3200-3400 lbs then that is a feat, but most guys pull carpets, seats, bumper supports, a/c, and some other small things. and replacing the k-member and a-arms also offer lots of weight reduction.

also someone mentioned that 5.0's will take an LT1 out of the hole and then run out of steam. what are some usual 60ft's that you guys see along with 1/8mi times? my car (just for comparison)with longtubes, stall, and slicks went 13.0x@103-105 a few times with a 1.7x60ft and 8.2x@84mph in the 1/8th.

TX_Outlaw93 said:
how much lighter are 5.0 stangs compared to LT1 cars? if an f-body can get down to 3200-3400 lbs then that is a feat, but most guys pull carpets, seats, bumper supports, a/c, and some other small things. and replacing the k-member and a-arms also offer lots of weight reduction.

also someone mentioned that 5.0's will take an LT1 out of the hole and then run out of steam. what are some usual 60ft's that you guys see along with 1/8mi times? my car (just for comparison)with longtubes, stall, and slicks went 13.0x@103-105 a few times with a 1.7x60ft and 8.2x@84mph in the 1/8th.

My car ran a 1.90 60' with mods in sig. All season performance tires (falken 512s 245/50/16) and nothing in the suspension has been touched. I plan on getting some SFC's shortly though.

Mac Cat-back
VRS o/r x-pipe
Mac shorty headers
Moroso CAI
14* timing
Pro 5.0
3-core radiator
3.73's
Edelbrock RPM intake
70mmm MAF
65mm TB and egr spacer

310stanger said:
id say itd be a drivers race myself. the acronym h/c/i with the 5.0 is a very broad one. theres a lot of people who use close to stock parts and say their car has h/c/i. imho, you dont have a true head cam intake until you have good aftermarket heads like trickflow, afr, edelbrock. the 4th gen fbody is heavy and the fox is a bit lighter. if the fox has been ligtened more and the driver can drive evan smith style, you risk gettin whooped. if its a h/c/i car and the guy cant drive, its a gt vert with auto etc then the fbody should win. the lt1 stock is a much hotter engine then the 5.0 ho and it has 48 cubes going for it. like previously stated they are heavy cars though. not to mention the 8.8 in the fox can take way more abuse the the 7.5 10 bolt in the fbody can.

not so much true on the rear end.. im LOW 12's.. stock SS 10 bolt.. been rebuilt a time or two.. but.. im there :rolleyes:

i said the 8.8 is a bunch stronger which it is. that 10 bolt is capable of going 12s but its not recommended and they have been known to break under 12 second power with sticky tires.

310stanger said:
i said the 8.8 is a bunch stronger which it is. that 10 bolt is capable of going 12s but its not recommended and they have been known to break under 12 second power with sticky tires.

well im bogging.. running 12.3s.. around there.. still bogging out the hole with a ok 60 ft.. but mines holding on.. lol i'd like to try and throw a 8.8 in one of these oneday

h/c/i 5.0 will normally lay aroung 290-320 depending on how well ur combo works out. I know the ls1 is better but my buddy layed 438 with afr 205 heads with every upgrade with them and a custom cam from comp cams. i figure a h/c lt1 will lay close to close to 400 if the combo is right.

The next 5.0 i get im going to work on the suspension mods cause a basicly stock 5.0 with all the suspension mods will get close to the 12's. and then once u get h/c/i u will be able to hook a lil and should put u a lil close to 11's. i brought up the suspension mods cause the camaro/firebirds have and awesome setup and hook at the track.

man i just went on and on sorry LOL