H/C/I installed, now big problem...

Chris6050

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2000
Nazareth, PA
My Trick Flow h/c/i was finished up being installed yesterday. When It gets up to around 2k rpms, it starts missing and jolting and won't rev any higher. When it's cold, it does it right when I start moving. The guy that helped me do the work, said it was the C&L mass air meter most likely that was causing it. I swapped the stocker back in today and nothing changed, same problem. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

Right now, the fuel system is stock. I'll be putting in a 190 fuel pump later this week and going to wait and get it dynoed to see about the injectors. It did this when the car was stock but it did it at about 3000-3200 and not all the time, just once in a while. The FP is set at 38. Anyone think it could be the TFI module causing it? I heard they can cause symptons like that.

Sounds like you're not getting enough fuel - I would have thought you would have wanted to run 24# injectors and MAF to match - may want to consider a ProM MAF - I have heard of other folks with C&L's having issues similar to yours that were solved by changing to a different MAF. If the injectors have a lot of miles on them, I would change them before going to the dyno.

Howard

Well for a while your going to need to bump that FP...that 38psi isn't going to cut it...

Be easy on the car...I wouldn't go above 2500rpm until you get this thing addressed...

So you still have stock 19lb injectors (orangish brown in color)...get some 24lb injectors atleast w/ a Pro-M MAF calibrated for the 24lbers...

What are your spark plugs gapped at? What kind?

I don't see why it would be your TFI module if you didn't mess with it...it is related to the h/c/i swap not the TFI module...something is wrong/missing (fuel) that is causing it...

19lb injectors is to small for the combo...your FP needs to be bumped up probably around 50psi?

Good Luck

Well I got my 24# injectors in and the 190 fuel pump and that seemed to fix my problem. Of course it started raining like crazy right before I got finished, and still is, so I haven't been able to get it on it, but it runs and sounds really good.