H/C/I Question

surfman21

Feb 11, 2004
with a H/c/i package im putting onto my stock 5.0 motor...do u think ill run into trouble with my stock botom end, like with the crank, rods, and pistons -should i leave it all alone and just add the heads, cam and intake, or get like a super stock crank kit or something like that and work on the bottom end too??

BTW the cars got 107xxx miles

• Sponsors (?)

Do a compression check on the engine. If it's all good, then go for it. If not, then rebuild time.

To make power naturally aspirated, you almost always have to raise the power band of the engine. Most performance head, intake, cam combos that will put you in the 300+ rwhp range will push the power band up to at least 5500-6000 RPM. For a street car, you generally won't be able to take advantage of this unless you've got the rear end geared for it and you regularly "beat" on the car. If it's a race car, then go for it. That said, the stock bottom end will likely have its life shortened.

If this is primarily a street car and the compression is good, then I would go with a 6-9psi street blower. You'll have the off-idle grunt and at least as much power, but without needing see 5000+ RPM. With good, safe, conservative tune you should be able to make 300 rwhp on pump gas and not necessarily put any undo strain on the engine.

With my combo, it feels pretty stock below 2500 RPM. It isn't until it's singing around 4000-5000 RPM that it really gets fun. Most folks with street cars like to feel that power immediately off-idle at stoplights and such,...mine...not at all. Something to think about.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. :nice:

5spd GT said:
Just go ahead an run it with your H/C/I and if something goes wrong just rebuild it later...by the way what kind of combo you thinking about?

David

i was thinking about the trick flow power package, or even the edelbrock combo, but im still not sure. its not gonna be a drag machine so i want something that will give me power right from the start

i am running gt40/stock ported heads/cam (unknown until monday havent taken it out to check). My setup pulls from 3,000 up , and lowend torque is pretty good. Cam is everything, you need to figure out if you want a cam setup for street (torque maxed out as soon as possible and hp follows), or , "race track" cam (which is pretty much, the higher you spin the engine the more power you get) I am more of the street car cam guy, this is becuase i love to feel that torque down low. Its all in what you want