H/C/I ?'S

mudmansfury

Nov 28, 2004
Im getting ready to pull my stock 91 5.0l out for overhaul. Now first off let me say I dont go down a track but 1 or 2 times a year so #'s dont mean jack to me ok. All I want is a good street car with a little more power thats all. So far Ive come up with going .30 over on the block with Edlebrock heads 1.7 RR'S and a B303 cam. Either a GT-40 intake or Trick Flow dont know on that one yet. Iv got a set of Mac headers already and OffRoad x pipe. Also a 70mm throtle body and Im thinking 30 pound injectors with a new mas air meter to match, and a mac cold air intake and under drive pullys, and ive already got a nos big shot efi nitrous kit. Does this sound like a pretty good combo for the street and what hp and tq at the wheels do you think it will make without the NOS. Im hopping around 265 and I would be happy.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a NOS big shot EFI kit, it's a plate system. This makes me wonder why you're trying to decide on an intake. The NOS plate kit will only fit certain specific intakes.

If you really do have a choice on intakes, I'd choose the TFS over the GT40. If there is any way you can budget a camshaft change, choose ANYTHING over a B cam. And like everyone else, go with 24s.

The Nos kit was given to me and I got to thinking about the plate too so I dont think Ill use it. I like the TFS but a friend of mine has the gt40 and loves it but you know how it is one person likes it another dont. How come you dont like the B cam as far as the 24's looks like thats what im getting.

lol got yea. O one more thing, I got the motor tore down and found that the motor has be gone through. They put a set of flattop pistions in that are cast not forge. Will the vale not hit the piston with out releafs in them or was this ok. Sorry for the dump questions but ive never done a 5.0l befor so Im learning as I go.

Without valve reliefs, there is a greater chance of contact. Does it look like it was rebuilt at all? Or is an '86 and down shortblock been used (they do not have valve reliefs).

You can have a 'flattop' piston with valve reliefs...

Good Luck!

Not sure why people hate on the FMS alphabet cams. I've seen plenty of guys with your basic h/c/i foxes run great times and make good power with them. Can a custom cam or a different off the shelf cam offer a bit more? Sure, but not everyone is out to squeeze every last horsepower out of their car at a high monetary cost.

I think im just going to start all over. I pulled my stock motor off the shelf today and think Ill just take it to be bor. 30 over and put a trick flow top end kit on and call it a day. I think that will give me the power for the road I want.