Haltech vs Pro-M vs Holley...thoughts?

I opted for MSPNP2. It plugged directly to the stock harness and fits in the factory ECU location.

Your tuner can be good.... but no one is using a 30 year old computer to do :poo:. These eeciv computers are starting to have issues with caps and ground circuits....well.... they've had issues for the last 20 years. I didn't want to rely on a computer made in 88 to run my aluminum headed, stroked, and turbo engine.

I've got around 1200 tied up in my system ( including the laptop ). I'm happy. Could be happier if I had MS3 but I'm still smiling.

Megasquirt has a smart phone app that allows you to hook up via Bluetooth. You can log or tune right on your phone and review it. It also has a dash screen with customisable gauges for whatever you need. Display is in real time.

Screenshot_20180409-234307.png

Screenshot_20180409-234313.png

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I know the holley requires a bit of rewiring etc where as the haltech and Pro-M seem to be more plug and play.

The holley has a few loose wire to connect to the fuel pump, grounds, and 12v power, also you would have to wire the tach to the ignition plug on the holley harness.

I have run both PNP MS2 and holley, the holley is a much better system, in my opinion. It does everything in one box, and if you want to add things like coil on plug, boost control, nitrous control, gauges, etc, it can all be added to the HP box. If you want to do any of that with the megasquirt plug and play stuff you either have to send the box back in to have it added, do it yourself, or buy a new box. Also, the big advantage of the holley is ditching the old wiring as others have said.

The thing that moved me away from the MS2 box to the holley was that i wanted to add nitrous control to the MS2, DIYautotune told me that the PNP box would support nitrous control, but when i was ready to do it, i called them back and was told that i needed to add to the existing hardware to make that happen. Wasnt too happy then, but it has worked out for the best, the holley outperforms the megasqurt in drivability, self learning, user interface, datalogging, gauge display(7" touchscreen is the balls), and troubleshooting.

The holley has a few loose wire to connect to the fuel pump, grounds, and 12v power, also you would have to wire the tach to the ignition plug on the holley harness.

I have run both PNP MS2 and holley, the holley is a much better system, in my opinion. It does everything in one box, and if you want to add things like coil on plug, boost control, nitrous control, gauges, etc, it can all be added to the HP box. If you want to do any of that with the megasquirt plug and play stuff you either have to send the box back in to have it added, do it yourself, or buy a new box. Also, the big advantage of the holley is ditching the old wiring as others have said.

The thing that moved me away from the MS2 box to the holley was that i wanted to add nitrous control to the MS2, DIYautotune told me that the PNP box would support nitrous control, but when i was ready to do it, i called them back and was told that i needed to add to the existing hardware to make that happen. Wasnt too happy then, but it has worked out for the best, the holley outperforms the megasqurt in drivability, self learning, user interface, datalogging, gauge display(7" touchscreen is the balls), and troubleshooting.
Imo the ms2pnp is not what it could be, the pimpxs is a far better unit for around the same price. I have tuned alot of these standalone systems and have never had a lack of drivability from a MS based car (or one I tuned myself anyway) I always build them myself so I know what is there and that it works. I took a 300$ system and built it out to do almost anything I want it to.
I use datalogs for troubleshooting hasn't failed me yet.
Megasquirt has come a long way in the last few years, the ms3evo system is on par (functionality wise) as any of the high dollar systems.

I love my Pimp, mine is not the XS though, it's the microsquirt speed density only version. If I want to use additional options all I have to do is remove the ECU, remove the ECU cover, install jumpers per clearly written instructions, enable the outputs, and enjoy. There is no mailing it back, no re-programming or anything like that. I can control my e-fans, activate nitrous, activate meth injection, etc.

The PiMP and PimpXS just needs a wideband, connects to your 60 pin connector, and run a vacuum line to a source that sees both vacuum and boost. Speed density systems are so dang good these days that most people don't use the option to run MAF anymore. I think most people that have had an issue with their MS or Pimp system either has a mechanical problem with their engine or they didn't read and understand the installation & setup instructions for their stand alone system.

Imo the ms2pnp is not what it could be, the pimpxs is a far better unit for around the same price. I have tuned alot of these standalone systems and have never had a lack of drivability from a MS based car (or one I tuned myself anyway) I always build them myself so I know what is there and that it works. I took a 300$ system and built it out to do almost anything I want it to.
I use datalogs for troubleshooting hasn't failed me yet.
Megasquirt has come a long way in the last few years, the ms3evo system is on par (functionality wise) as any of the high dollar systems.

In my case, i have seen that the holley self learning is years ahead of where the tunerstudio stuff is and that is what makes the holley shine with drivability. I am not talking low lift hydraulic roller stuff, I am talking about stuff that has no business on the street, and with holleys control makes it totally drivable, no stumbles, great idle quality, smooth throttle response. Not sure what you have worked on, but my stuff was at the limit of what the MS systems could make tame. Just sharing my experience.

The new, "high end" MS3pro boxes have had many well documented failures, with people sending ECu's back multiple times for the same issue. I wouldnt put one in my stuff if i was paid to do it. I think that anyone that is looking into spending that kind of money on the MS3pro platform should really do their homework before buying one.

In my case, i have seen that the holley self learning is years ahead of where the tunerstudio stuff is and that is what makes the holley shine with drivability. I am not talking low lift hydraulic roller stuff, I am talking about stuff that has no business on the street, and with holleys control makes it totally drivable, no stumbles, great idle quality, smooth throttle response. Not sure what you have worked on, but my stuff was at the limit of what the MS systems could make tame. Just sharing my experience.

The new, "high end" MS3pro boxes have had many well documented failures, with people sending ECu's back multiple times for the same issue. I wouldnt put one in my stuff if i was paid to do it. I think that anyone that is looking into spending that kind of money on the MS3pro platform should really do their homework before buying one.
I dont use any kind of self learning anything, i always tune completely by hand. I have tuned many streetcars but nothing that has broken the 1khp mark yet. although one honda engine almost did i cant believe how much power those little engines are capable of. I have never had one of the ms3 prebuilt boxes in front of me, like i said i always build them to save money. Functionality wise they are on par but that does not say anything about robustness, I bielieve that is the difference in price point myself. i opt for better parts with larger heatsinks ect ect when i build them. I believe for the entry level guy on a budget its the way to go, if you have alot of money to invest into a system i dont see a reason not to go to a haltech.

I dont have alot of money by any means but ill spend more for a superior product...trying to do as high end a build as i can afford to do. I have big plans for the car and unfortunately none of them are cheap lol. I definately need to stop reminding myself about how much ive already spent on it lol

I dont have alot of money by any means but ill spend more for a superior product...trying to do as high end a build as i can afford to do. I have big plans for the car and unfortunately none of them are cheap lol. I definately need to stop reminding myself about how much ive already spent on it lol
There are some things you must consider and things you should know. The above comparison between the ms2pnp and the Holley is really unfair. The ms2pnp is not a fully sequential system it also does not have the extra features and tuning modes that the ms3 has. The Holley is full sequential injection and should be compared to a similar system like the ms3.
The claim that the ms3box have problems is a moot point and based on the fact that most people build there own.. meehh... the only documented problems I have come across are ones that people cause themselves.

The claim that the ms3box have problems is a moot point and based on the fact that most people build there own.. meehh... the only documented problems I have come across are ones that people cause themselves.

People build their own EVO and ultimate MS3 boxes? Those are the ones i was talking about.

People build their own EVO and ultimate MS3 boxes? Those are the ones i was talking about.
Ah. Those I cannot vouch for, just like any new product there will be hiccups, any potted ecu (includes holley, haltech ect.) Must be repaired by the manufacturer. It's just how it is, in this regard they all have there issues. A friend of mine fried his holley using a negative disconnect no bueno and a costly mistake.