hard luck sucks (lengthy read)

Poisoned Pony

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2000
Citrus Heights, CA
I figured some folks on here would get a good laugh at this, because in the end all you can do is sit back and laugh when hard luck hits :shrug:

Last wednesday while driving to work I was rear-ended by another Mustang. Was an areo sixer, poor condition driven by a hot young latino female who doesn't pay attention to which signal light is her's. Light damage because we were stopped when she hit me, info was exchanged, I called my insurance and let my agent handle everything. I get an appointment for the bodyshop the following monday, a rental reservation and all. My agent calls the girl's insurance only to find that said Mustang wasn't on the policy. The girl had just purchased the Mustang and has yet to be added to the policy, so it fell under uninsured motorist. Bummer, but thank god for insurance as my really stepped up. Car was dropped off this past monday, got a call today, she's done and ready to go :eek: Now I'm dealing with the girl's mom (she was 18, on parents policy) in an effort to get some momentary compensation.

Day off the intial accident, I brought my car into lab to get some lab done (I go to school at Universal Technical Institute). Simple lab, just doing a 5-gas and scanner. I had a misfire p0300 code popping up but couldn't solve. My fuel tables were all screwed up. My teacher suggested a compression test just to be sure. The numbers I pulled:
#1: 180 PSI
#2: 160 PSI
#3: 180 PSI
#4: 180 PSI
#5: 180 PSI
#6: 150 PSI
#7: 110 PSI
#8: 180 PSI
I guess I've been having too much fun with the bottle :D Now, I've bee cooling it, trying to make this motor last while I get some work hours in and be able to buy a shortblock from MMR or Coast High Performance.

The saturday after all this, got in the ride to run to the bank. Right as I left my housing area, I smelt the STRONG odor of fuel. I pulled over, popped the hood and I see my fuel rail loose and my #4 injector spraying fuel everywhere! I kill it, and walk back to the house to get some tools. This proves fruitless as the bolt is stripped. Not only that, but the mounting boss on the lower intake is cracked. So I JB Weld it as a temp fix so I was able to get her to the bodyshop on monday. I scored a PI intake locally for dirt cheap, should be picking it up friday for a quick swap that night.

Hopefully this is the end of my bad luck, as I'm already maxxing out on P/T hours to be able to fund the new shortblock and I'm only halfway done with school :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Dude shat always happens at the worst possible times. At least with your knowledge and skills with cars you were able to fix your minor probs. You'll be alright. The motor will last until your school is done(1.5 years right?). Then you can get that sweet built shortblock:nice:

:jaw:

Man that sucks. Luckily the wreck wasnt serious, and luckily your car didn't burn down!!!

As far as the compression numbers... Mine are all 150/160/170 except for two damned cylinders on the passenger bank.

120psi and 121psi. One cylinder between them, so I don't think it's a head gasket issue.

Anyway, the car runs fine, pulls hard... and I am still thinking of throwing gas at it.

Just keep a check on it. Granted, it is low, but if it goes lower than you have more of an issue than you might think. Could be rings, could just be a valve seal.

Right now, I'm working an ass-load of hours to get some money to get a new shortblock. The options:

Option A) buy a windsor or romeo block locally and get a rotating assembly kit from a performance place (MMR, CHP, DSS, etc)

Option B) buy a shortblock from said company.

I have no problem throwing together an engine, so for the experience, I might go with Option A.

I picked up the ride from the bodyshop today, looking good as new! And I pick up the PI intake tomorrow. Things are looking up :nice: